Friday, May 2, 2014

The Power of One





Last year during transfer season, I decided to peek at what jobs were available within my school district.  I was not unhappy at my school -- just curious as to what was available since there had been a hiring freeze for a few years.  Much to my surprise, there was a position that was available at the high school where I work for an autism teacher.  Everyone who ever taught students with autism in high school loved, loved, loved their job.  So, on a whim, I applied.

I received an e-mail asking me to call the office.  Now the quandary began.  Do I call them?  Did I really want more change?  I had just gotten divorced and moved to a place that was walking distance to my current job location -- in fact, one of the reasons I chose that particular place to live.  So, was I really going to shake up my life some more?  I decided I didn't want to; however, not wanting to appear wishy-washy, I waited a week or so to call them back.  Long enough for the position to be filled.  Satisfied that it was, I called them.  The position's filled?  Surprise!  But, would I be interested in an SLD position which had opened up?  One thing about special education is we have our share of acronyms and SLD is specific learning disabilities.  Well frankly, that was a job I was interested in.  However, in the back of my mind, I was still not sure I was willing to shake up my apple cart anymore.  I told them I would let them know.  But then came the push..."Why not come in just for an interview?  We have some times early in the morning..."

You know -- here's the thing...God has a crazy way of calling us.  And I knew, this was His M.O. -- First of all, it was a job that I had dreamed of; it was also within a 10 minute drive from my house.  AND, they were pushing for the interview.  Okay, I decided it wouldn't hurt to interview.  I had a 6:30 A.M. interview.  A challenge at best since I'm not a morning person.  However, I answered all the questions that were thrown at me.  Halfway through the list of questions (which I could see), they let me know they were finished.  I honestly didn't know how I did.  I either aced it or blew it.  But either way, I just went to work and didn't think anymore about it...until 8 AM, when the e-mail was waiting -- it said, "Call us."  Really, God?  More change?  Could I handle something new?  I knew that I had the job.  I was really on the fence.  At lunch, I talked with some friends, who encouraged me to go with the change.  My facilitator was there and said, "Call them!!"   I told her I was waiting until 2 o'clock.  I don't know what was so magical about that time but I had it in my head to call then.  But, upon her encouragement, broke down and called them.  Yes, I had the job.  Did I want it?

Now here's the thing about God.  You can be screaming, "No" in your head but your mouth says, "Yes!"  And that is exactly what happened.  The word, "Yes." slid out ever so easily.  So, with that, I now had a new place to call my "home away from home."  I knew God had something in mind.  I just didn't know what.  And so, I moved to my new workplace -- leaving my friends and going where no one knew me, doing a job that was not quite the one they had described -- not that I minded, but it was a huge learning curve; a bit of a baptism by fire.  I did my job and never gave any thought as to why I was called there, other than the fact that I could connect with these teenagers.  Yes, a 50-something woman that for whatever reason, these kids seems to take a shine to.  But today was the day.  Today, I found out the reason why God had me move.

Remember the kiddo that is doing makeup work for me?  I wrote about him in a different blog.  Today, I went to see the dean to see what credits could be salvaged.  After all, I don't want to make him do work if he is not going to pass the class due to absences anyhow.  She looked at his record.  The past few weeks, he has been attending class.  She herself admitting, he is turning over a new leaf.  She pulled his transcript for me to see.  Zero credits in two years.  He has not passed a single class.  Looking at that paper, I discovered the truth.  I knew the reason I was there.  Before I could stop myself, I heard words coming from my mouth.   "You know, next year I'm teaching self-contained.  If you want, he can work in my room all day."  Wow, God -- again, I merely heard those words leaving my mouth.  I didn't think about the implications.  The fact that he can, all by his lonesome, drive someone to drink.  And  yet, there it was.  An offer -- from one.  One who God is using in this boy's life.

And so, God made me realize today that we each have that power.  It only takes one to change the world just a little bit.  God is using me as His instrument to work in the lives of children who may otherwise have no one in their corner.  But you see, they do in fact have the power of one;  one who teaches, one who laughs, one who talks, one who listens, but most of all, one who sees their hearts.  One who hopefully will be able to help them understand the value of an education and that they do indeed matter in the world and can make a difference.  And so today, He has shown me that He is the powerful One -- because he has instilled in us, the power of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment