Saturday, May 10, 2014

Get Ready to Set Sail







If I can speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy
But don’t love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rust gate
If I speak God’s word with power, revealing all of His mysteries
And making everything as plain as day
And if I have faith to say to a mountain jump and it jumps
But I don’t love, I’m nothing
If I give all I earn to the poor
Or even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr
But I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere
So, no matter what I say, no matter what I believe, no matter what I do
I’m bankrupt without love

 1 Corinthians 13:1-3 The Message

Twitter is a form of social media that fascinates me.  It is fast-paced, short and yet, multitudes of people flock there -- each with their own reasons for being on it.  For some, it is a means of networking.  Others, it helps promote their business.  Still others, it is a way to stay in touch with the world, without having to put forth a lot of effort.  After all, 140 characters goes by pretty quickly when writing a tweet.  However, I'm even more fascinated by the number of individuals who are out there and trying to change the world; make it a better place.  I have met several individuals who are doing just that; one such individual is Pete Woolston.

I'm not even sure how I became Pete's friend -- but I dare say, he is one.  Albeit, a "Twitter-land friend" as I so aptly call my friends on Twitter, as they are folks that I will most likely never meet.  Yet, Pete has a passion; his passion is music.  Now, I can relate to that passion, as my passion likewise involves writing and an immense amount of creativity.  It also takes time -- time from our families and social lives.  The trade off is it brings us closer to God; something that is very important to both of us.  There are other things we have in common.  For instance, we love coffee.  Granted, I'm willing to drink Folger's while Pete is somewhat of a "coffee snob" but that's okay... we both love the power that caffeine rush gives us.  It seems to somehow fuel the creativity in us.  However, Pete's "real" vocation is not music.  Pete's more than a musician.  Like me, he has a day job.  He's a techno-geek.  Yes, he does something with computers but don't ask me what, as I sure couldn't tell you.  Like me, Pete has a really off-beat sense of  humor; he is incredibly funny.  Lastly, like me, he believes that God has put him on a path to fulfill His plan; to somehow make the world a better place.  And that's the real reason I'm writing this blog.  Not just to say, "Kudos, Pete -- good job!"  Yes, he deserves that and so much more -- but more importantly, to tell you about this plan and purpose God has for Pete's life.  Although Pete is married, has children, a day job and his music, he also believes in this crazy trajectory God has put him on.  More importantly, he actively works to fulfill it.




Pete's story began approximately 30 years ago.  As he tells it, after playing for an outreach, he found himself standing on the deck of  one of the Mercy Ships MV Anastasis in his native New Zealand.  There, he saw some amazing people who were doing volunteer work for Mercy Ships.  Mercy Ships is, in essence, a floating hospital.  They perform miracles by healing and caring for the poor, wherever they dock.  On this particular day, Pete felt a tug at his heart from the Holy Spirit as he looked at this massive ship.  He asked God, "...but what can I do?  I'm not a doctor or a nurse -- I'm just a musician..."  Ah, but you see, God can use anyone.  And indeed, he is using Pete.  Fast forward thirty years later,  and Pete found himself talking to some friends about Mercy Ships NZ.  As God would have it, these friends were now running Mercy Ships in New Zealand.  They asked him if he would be willing to support their cause.  Pete, thinking it would be a monetary donation, was more than willing to open his pocketbook.  But, here's the hook -- God didn't want Pete's money...he wanted his heart.  And so, his friends asked him if he would be the first NZ Affiliate artist and represent Mercy Ships as a musician?

Wow!  What a crazy, amazing God we have!  According to Pete, "This 'cool rock star' was overcome and I stumbled over my response for what seemed like, well almost 30 years...before I finally blurted out, absolutely!'"   Pete writes in his blog, "It was one of those weird sublime humbling moments when you suddenly realise (sic) that God always listens to your heart's cry, and despite decades drifting by, His response was to reach down through eternity -- through the tunnels of time -- to orchestrate an opportunity for you to make a difference that you never thought could come about.  I couldn't help but feel God's love and His incredible opportunity synergizing in my world."

Mercy Ships NZ asked Pete to write a song for them, which he did.  It's called, "Hope on My Horizon"; aptly named because it's what the poor see when the ship sails into their port.  Pete's album is not for sale yet, but I hope that you will support it when it comes out.  I will definitely post all information as it becomes available.  In the meantime, take a listen.  Pete not only has an incredible talent but an incredible heart for God.    Most importantly, this blog is not about Pete because those of us that serve God do it not to boast about ourselves, but rather, do what we do to glorify Him.  So, it is with this song that Pete so loudly proclaims a victory for all those needing hope and healing.  May your ship sail into areas that God is calling you to.  Thank you, Pete!  May you have peace and mercy in Him.






http://www.peterwoolstonmusic.com/web-offer




2 comments:

  1. I'm really humbled by this post Lisa :) A huge thank you for helping support @MercyShipsNZ and the incredible courageous stuff they do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, you are stepping up and helping in ways I can't even dare dream of -- but I know that the work all of you do is incredible and you are changing lives!

    ReplyDelete