Wednesday, May 21, 2014

An Oola Reminder

 
 
 
 

 
 
So today I had a good reminder of how easy it is to slip into old habits.  To look into the "rear-view" mirror of my life, if you will.  One of the thing that Oola teaches is don't look back.  Sometimes you hear things and it "clicks" right away; sounds good.  However, putting it into practice can often times be so much more difficult. 
 
 Today, I did something that was pretty "un-Oola".  I looked in that rear-view mirror. Now, rear-view mirrors have a saying on them -- "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" -- the car manufacturers got that right!  I looked in that mirror and you know what I saw?  Lack of trust.  Yes, that's a biggie for me and that is something that has been looming large for a long time.  You see, my experiences in life have led me to a place of distrust.  Something that is there but not reasonable to continue to look at -- Why?  It's behind me.  It looms large and is close to me.  Yet, it is in my rear-view mirror. 

Let's face it, if I'm a Christian, I have chosen to trust God.  Yet, today my trust went flying out the window.  What happened?  I looked back.  I didn't look ahead.  If I looked forward you know what I'd see?  A new view!  Something wonderful -- exciting -- fun!  Hills and curves -- things that I can't even comprehend that are waiting around the bend.  And yet, I made a decision -- consciously or not -- to look behind.  To see what I saw for years; those skeletons that were waving and saying, "Hey there....it's me!    Where've you been, old friend?"

Truth is, those skeletons aren't my friends.  They're scary and dirty and a shell of who I am now.  I am so not what those skeletons represent.  Yet, I allowed them to take over my thinking for just long enough to trip me up.  I allowed them to creep back into my mind.

So, today I have vowed to look forward.  I know on this journey I will take "missteps."  It's bound to happen.  I wouldn't be human if it didn't.  But the best thing about looking back?  I can see how far I've come.  I am moving forward.  I am working hard to become a different person.  I may not be there yet, but I am getting there.  Thank you, Oola for giving me something tangible that I can relate to -- that rearview mirror.  When I look in it, I see a past that needs to stay behind me.  My future is what lies ahead.  If I stare in that mirror too long, I'm bound to crash.  So, with the sun shining brightly in the window, it's God I choose to let be in that driver's seat.  He will guide me; safely and on a road with far less bumps than I could ever hope to navigate by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment