Monday, May 26, 2014

In Memoriam


  Today as Memorial Day comes to a close, I am reminded of a young man that I didn’t even know.  He was a man that was killed while my ex-husband worked in Iraq as a contractor.  My ex showed me one picture of him one day– he had a mega-watt smile that lit up the sky.  More importantly, he had a deep faith.  You could see the joy in his face.  He was away from his family and yet, that smile captivated my heart that day.   It’s been several years since I was shown that picture and yet, I can still see his face.
            My ex told me the story of his demise.  It was to be a quick run in the city.  Yet, he never made it back to the base.  He was not required to go; he went merely to keep a friend company on the ride.  It was not to be more than a ten minute run.  The officer who convinced him to tag along felt immense grief and guilt.  No one could have foreseen that ending yet, do any of us know when God will call us home?
            I think of his wife and three young children he left behind.  How they must have felt upon hearing the news.  I don’t know what they were told; I don’t know them, other than they were part of his family.  And yet, they suffered.  Their husband and daddy was collateral damage.

I have a place of prayer and worship in my house.  Aside from various crosses, I have a candle and a stand where the candle sits . There is a little rock garden around it and in that rock garden are four small metal ovals with angels embossed on them.  I look at those angels and think of that man, his wife, his family.  To me, those angels represent that soldier and his children.  When I think about that smile and that inner connection I felt, I feel a sadness.  I’m not really even sure why.  My pastor suggested that perhaps I needed to pray for his children.  Perhaps.  Perhaps it is just that smile on a page; a picture of someone who was a family member, a service member, a man made in God’s image.
           And so, tonight, I will say a prayer for him and his family.  I will say prayers for all servicemen that lost their lives in defense of our freedom and those still actively serving.  I will also say a prayer for their families.  In the end, it doesn’t matter why we went to war; only that they were willing to go.  To make the sacrifices necessary to for us to have life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  I don’t think many people think about that often enough.  Perhaps this homage to a young man will make you think; remember; and not be quite so judgmental to those who wear our uniform.   It is because of them I am able to sleep a little more soundly tonight.  Thank you, to the men and women in our armed forces for your service; thank you for you and your families’ sacrifice; thank you for all you do.

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful sentiment and testament. May we all walk every step with gratitude and humility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete