Sunday, March 16, 2014

Lent: A Season of Reflection






Lent 2015




Last Wednesday night's Lenten service was beautiful.  As in the week prior, we were asked to take a rock as we entered the sanctuary.  I like my rock.  It is an oddly-shaped stone -- polished, dappled with hues of black, brown and white, with a gorgeous pattern of lines.  It is polished and smooth to the touch.  I caress it throughout the service.  I know what it is for.  It is to represent something that we wish to hand over to God.  I know that after communion we will leave it on the prayer rail, symbolizing that it is gone from our lives and handed over to God.

As the service begins, I contemplate what this rock will symbolize.  I handed over my anger the week before.  That actually worked really well, as I felt lighter after the service.  Yes, I had most certainly handed over that burden and it was truly with God.

The service was exceedingly meaningful. It always is -- it touches my heart and very spirit.  I love the way we have open communion -- anyone can receive it.  It is a gift from God, and one of the reasons I love the denomination that I am.

I continued to think about my rock.  Communion time was drawing near.  I truly was a blank slate.  What could I give to God?  Anger, gone.  Patience, I have.  Relationships?  Possibly.  The ushers were coming. I walked to the prayer rail and kneeled... and I prayed.  God, what is it I can give to you.  And from that, came my answer -- turn your entire life over to Me.  And so, I used that rock to symbolize my life and my obedience to His will.  I would turn over my entire life to Him.  And so I placed my beautiful rock on the rail -- and held out my hands to receive God's blessing.  I thanked Him for the gift of His Son and the salvation I receive because of His sacrifice.  I walked back to the pew -- at peace once more.  I know that I am in His perfect will. 






































































No comments:

Post a Comment