Thursday, July 3, 2014

To My Students




Dear Students,

It doesn't matter how many years ago I had you in my class; you helped shape me in a very important way -- you made me a better teacher.   I'm certain that I never showed you more than pure professionalism; yet, each of you held a special place in my heart.

Collectively, you taught me how to manage a classroom efficiently, reflect on a lesson I carefully planned out, or even how to teach a lesson "on the fly" because there was a "teachable moment."  You taught me to maintain a sense of humor and not to take your sassiness too seriously; you are, after all, just children whose minds are still developing.

To my autism class...you taught me patience and understanding.  You taught me that your disability is incredibly profound.  You taught me that you have a neurological disorder which affects your ability to communicate.  I have often pondered how it must feel to want to say something and be unable to do it; frustrated, to say the least.  Of course, you lash out!  But others don't understand that.  I do.  After a six hour day, I was exhausted; some days, you took it out of me both physically and emotionally.  Yet, each and every one of you is special and unique.  You each have your own gifts.  You are a child of God.  Don't ever let anyone tell or make you feel otherwise.

To my students with learning disabilities...you have made me smile more than you know.  Although you can at times drive me to distraction,  you have made me equally proud with your accomplishments.  To watch your writing improve, pass an important exam and go on to graduate has filled my heart with pride.   I hope I  have instilled with you what I know you are able to do -- be successful in your own right.  For success is not merely a college degree -- it is being comfortable in your own skin, able to make a living for yourself and having the happiness you so richly deserve.  High school is tough enough for students who don't struggle with learning.  Yours is not just the challenge of growing up with your peers who can be exceedingly judgmental, but learning how to overcome the educational challenges you have had in your young lives.  You have taught me what it means to be courageous; being in classes where teachers do not take your disability seriously or with those who are clearly annoyed you are in their class.  You have shown them that you are persistent and given an equal footing, can compete with your peers quite nicely. 

To my students with health impairments...you have shown me how fragile life is.  You have shown me that by some fluke of nature, a chromosome short or extra, that lives are changed in ways that are unimaginable.  You too are special because I see how hard life is for you. I also come home praising God because He shows me how difficult life really can be,  through you.  Yet, you have incredible joy.  Your joy comes in getting a ribbon at the Special Olympics.  Your joy comes in taking your first steps at the age of 10 or developing your first friendships with your peers.  Your joy is in dancing to music videos at an assembly where you can't see them but can only hear.  I've watched you as your teacher tries to have you sit down and "behave" like the other 1500 students; except yours is a joy that can't be contained and you continue to dance anyway.  Truth be told, that secretly makes me happy...good for you!!!

I have seen much in my short career.  I am starting my sixth year in special education.  Our university professors warned us we would be "burned out" sometime between years 5 and 8.  I don't find that to be true, for each one of you touches my very soul.  I am grateful to have had you pass through my life, for you have enriched it in ways beyond measure.

I wish you much success as you continue to travel through this life,

Ms. L.

No comments:

Post a Comment