Saturday, December 14, 2013

Oola Blocker Alert -- FEAR!


"...conflicts on the outside, fears within.  But God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us...."
2 Corinthians 7:5-6


OK, so as you all know, I went to meet up with a personal trainer this morning.  This is, to someone with weight issues, an Oola blocker in and of itself!  I was filled with incredible trepidation and yes, felt intimidated this morning.  Personal trainers to me conjure up images of women and men with the most perfect physique and fabulous hair.  However, I have made the commitment to living an Oola life and yes, that includes fitness. 

So, I got dressed and resisted this innate urge to cancel my appointment.  You see, I truly did not wish to go.  Exercise, at best, is a struggle for me to commit to -- let alone, committing to a trainer.  As I was leaving the house, I found myself saying in my head, "I'd rather give birth or go to the dentist to get my gums scraped!"  Yes, it is that primordial fear -- almost like going on a blind date.  You know that you have to go through with it, but really not sure you are going to like this person long enough to hold a conversation (or in this case, exercise) for an hour.  As luck should have it, I was able to get through this "date".

I found my trainer to be knowledgeable and professional.  She was not in skimpy training clothes, nor was her hair particularly fabulous -- although I'm not going to lie, she was definitely physically fit and I wouldn't mind having her hair.  She was attractive enough to be a friend but not so attractive as to be intimidating.  She was courteous and listened to me.  Yes, I told her all my concerns regarding my past weight issues, and that I do believe this is a battle in my mind that needs to be won, once and for all.  She totally agreed.   She doesn't believe in scales... (seriously -- who could ask for more than that?  Not having to be weighed? I felt like I died and went to heaven!) And she is going to help me figure out an eating plan.  Awesome!  Next step, heading to the gym.

Again, FEAR reared it's ugly head -- especially when the first machine I had to get on was the elliptical.  First of all, the elliptical and I do not get along.  I hate them with a passion.   I cannot figure out how anyone can last more than 3 minutes on one.  Well, I was about to find out as she asked me to get on for 5 minutes!  First time out?  Whoa!  This gal was serious...OK, but so was I.  So I complied -- with nary a word about how I hate them.  Yes, I actually held my tongue and decided to be non-judgmental with regard to this machine.  Turns out I've been using the elliptical wrong -- using the front of my foot instead of the back.  Hence, my severe pain in legs when using one.  I did the five minutes without a problem. 

We moved onto free weights, squats, lunges, crunches, et cetera.  Things I could do at home but also at the club.  I have to say, I had a good workout -- I definitely felt every muscle in my body,  particularly from my knees to my shoulders.  In other words,  my entire body; however,  it was more muscle fatigue than pain.  I definitely dragged myself up the stairs from the locker room.  Thank God there was a railing to steady myself with -- AND she actually said at one point that  she could tell I had been physically fit because apparently, your muscles have some sort of memory.  And mine, although unused for some time, still have some residual mass.  Hopefully, it will not take me long to get back into shape.  I am figuring a year but if I could do it in 6-8 months, I would be down for that! 

Today, I am re-working my budget in order to work with this trainer long-term.  Yes, I am going to hire a personal trainer; something I never envisioned doing in a million years.   I always believed personal trainers as something that only the wealthy could afford -- and believe me, I am far from that!  Yet, this is that important to me.  I want to be around to continue to crawl on the floor with my grandbabies (something that amazes my kids to this day!)  I am older, wiser but more importantly, still have a lot of life left in me and wish to live it to the fullest!  I WANT to have the Oola life!  As for my Oola blocker, fear?  I have learned that even if I have fear, I don't have to give into it.  I can push past it.  I am more important than anything that would stop me from becoming the best I can be -- Oola living at its finest! 

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?  You are not your own; you were bought at a price.  Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20



No comments:

Post a Comment