Monday, December 23, 2013

My Oola Journey: From Fat to Fabulous


Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
Robert Collier

Well, it's been 8 days since I last posted on this journey and I am doing well...baby steps.  I am changing my eating habits -- staying away from junk food and white carbs such as sugar and bread/potatoes, drinking water instead of diet soda and overall feel great!  I have lost 5 pounds, although the only one who can tell is me.  I went back to the trainer today.  My second and last freebie. 

After my last training session, I felt sore but not miserable.  However, the day after, I had a back spasm like no other: the "I can't move!" muscle spasm.  Now here's where a trainer is a real gift.  I texted her explaining what was going on and she gave me a solution.   She gave me an exercise to use, which helped alleviate the pain.  In fact, I was fine toward the end of the day and the remainder of the week! 

Today when I met with her, I showed her where  I got the back pain and the exercise I think triggered it.  She is taking the approach that I need to work my entire body -- basically to strengthen my core.  I think this is probably a great approach because after four children, I am lacking muscle tone -- say, everywhere??  I do have a bad back, which means, my stomach muscles  need to be toned, among other things.  Weight loss, of course, will also help with that!  Today, she focused on everything between my feet and shoulders.  Apparently, my head is ok!   Go me!!

The first thing she did was start my warm-up.  I was holding my breath as we were walking the direction of the ellipticals.  Really?   The very bane of my existence?  But actually, I was quite surprised -- we stopped before getting that far...right in front of the rowing machines.  Now, I haven't used one of these -- ever!  However, she showed me how it worked and I thought, this doesn't look bad.  It wasn't -- I actually found it rather enjoyable.  Especially when she told me, the harder I work, the faster the count goes down.  Whoo-hoo!  Something I could excel at!  Yeah, you can bet I put the "pedal to that metal!" 

From there, we went to the Cybex machine.  She put me on a leg press.  Now, bear in mind, back in my college days, I could leg press 80 lbs.  I didn't realize how impressive that was until today, when she put 20 lbs. on the machine.  That was definitely heavier than I remember, but I was ok with it.  We went through a series of exercises; both free weight and machine.  At the end of the workout, she decided I needed to do some plank-type exercise.  Another trainer was walking past and said, "That exercise is hell!"  I looked at him and said, "You mean the last 45 I just did weren't?" I actually was able to do the plank although at the end, I must confess, it felt good to stretch out on the mat.  (As in, I am not moving, stretching out!) 

I find that I definitely struggle with keeping my balance on my left side; more so than my right side.  I'm certain this has to do with being considerably older and out of shape.  But, I am determined to get physically fit.  This is part of my Oola plan for 2014.  I have given myself one year.  I know that when I get there, not only will I look better but feel incredible.  My 50's are great but I want it all!  I am, praise God, reasonably healthy and aside from the occasional back pain, feel awesome!   I am looking forward to the day when I achieve my that goal!  I have no doubt or illusions that my wanting this so much is that I want to "Live the Oola life!" This is my second half, and I want it to be incredible and live it to the fullest!

For those of you that are struggling with extra weight and have been wanting to lose a few pounds or get into shape, I invite you to join me on this journey!  I'm baby-stepping it -- you can too!  All that matters is that we are working on our Oola life -- and I have no doubts that this is a journey worth taking!


 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment