Saturday, November 12, 2016

Why Mary Kay?

Pretend that every single person you meet has a sign around his or her neck that says, 'Make me feel important.' Not only will you succeed in sales, you will succeed in life. Mary Kay Ash

For years, I have used Mary Kay cosmetics.  I have used her face washes on and off since college.  I have looked at the business opportunity for years.  So, what made me decide to take the plunge "for real" this time?  It is, in many ways, the founder herself.

Mary Kay Ash really was ahead of her time.  At the age of 43, she began her business.  Her husband had died and she had $5,000 to invest.  She did this in a time when women, in general, were looked upon as "lesser" than men.  She recognized that she could do things better than her bosses.  She was right.

One of my favorite quotes that Mary Kay said was "God first, family second, career third."  She was right.  God should always come first in your life, then your family and lastly, your career.  Most corporations have it the other way around.  Hence, so many women are looking for home-based businesses.  Yes, they want it all!  No glass ceilings and the ability to stay home with their families.

Thursday night, I launched my business.  I talked about why I wanted to be successful.  Yes, the money is nice but I will say it again...I want to help other women reach their financial goals.  I want to help those who have been put through the financial wringer get back on their feet.  I want to show women who have been struggling that it is possible to make money by helping others.  Usually, corporations help themselves.  I believe this business is a way to encourage others.

Our meetings are held on Wednesday nights, and usually, at 5 PM,  I am tired and find myself questioning whether or not I really want to go.  The truth is, once I am there, it is incredibly refreshing.  We are not talking "work" but rather, building each other up with words of love and friendship.  We do talk business but then again, I love business.  It is nice to have this "other side" with which to retreat.  It beats hearing people complain about paperwork, student behavior and administration over a cocktail.  Rather, we talk about seminars, retreats and how to treat people as they want to be treated.   By the way, Mary Kay also believed in the "golden rule".

And so, I am exceedingly excited and can't wait for my box of "goodies" to arrive.  I am running low on a lot of things personally and it is the Christmas season.  I am holding a Holiday Open House with several vendors.  I hope the turnout it great and that people will remember to support small businesses.  Again, helping others succeed.

As you read this, if any of this strikes a chord with you, reach out to me at lisakhuraibet@marykay.com  It doesn't matter if we live in the same state or not -- again, the beauty of this business.  All that matters is that you have a desire to improve your life and the lives of others.




No comments:

Post a Comment