Sunday, November 27, 2016

OolaPalooza 2016 The Journey





Once again, OolaPalooza is here.  I didn't think I'd be going but a random act of kindness has allowed me the opportunity.  Due to my financial situation this year, I was unable to afford the ticket.  And so, I decided that God had probably decided that someone needed to go more than myself.  As life should have it, I received an e-mail the other day stating that someone had an extra ticket and did I want it?  Did I?  That would be a resounding "YES!"

As I think about the two days of setting goals for the next year, I am overwhelmed with excitement.  I've had some setbacks this year...some goals I hit this year, others I didn't.  For instance, the 25 pounds I lost last year, I gained back -- the result of heavy-duty emotional eating.   Why?  Because of my finance... I spent nearly two years in bankruptcy -- something I don't recommend unless you absolutely must-- and was finally granted a Chapter 7.  What that means is that the only debt I have remaining are my student loans and car.  Although it sounds horrific, and in many aspects it is, it means I can move forward with my life.  The fallout of my divorce is finally over and now it is entirely up to me to become whole again.  I am so grateful for that opportunity!

My faith has developed to a whole new level.  I am now facilitating a Bible study, rather than just sitting in one.  As a result, I am reading the Old Testament; no small task.  My field goals are taking on a clearer picture of what I need to be doing; how I foresee getting out of student loan debt and moving beyond.  What will retirement look like for me?  Before my bankruptcy, I had no hope of retirement.  Now, I can actually envision it.  That is huge -- especially when starting over at the age of 53.

Friends and fun have gone beyond what I imagined.  One friend of mine actually asked, "What happened to the 'old Lisa'?"  She never knew me other than as a quiet, introverted person.  I wasn't introverted...I was just sad.  Now I have a happiness I never knew could exist.  I live each day fully, knowing that it could be my last.

I recognize life is a journey, and I have met some amazing individuals along the way.  Many I've met at this annual gathering; a place where we look at what we want from life and how we will get there. There is laughter, tears and a lot of hugging.  We relish the time together because like a rope, it is stronger with each of the ties that bind us.

And so, I thank the kind stranger who said, "Give this ticket to someone who can use it."  I thank the people at Oola for recognizing that I need this gathering; maybe even more than they know.  I thank God for giving me the strength to persevere and for putting people in my path who helped light the way.  I thank YOU for being a part of my journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment