Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Leviticus

Image result for tabernacleI facilitate a Bible study on the Old Testament.  One of the books of the Bible I was least looking forward to go over was Leviticus...which goes over atonement.  Why?  Because, if you've ever read it, it is drier than the desert the Jews found themselves wandering in for forty years!  
In essence, it is a list of rules and regulations for forgiveness of guilt and sin.  As I was reading, I kept thinking, "HOW am I going to be able to present this in a way that is understandable?  And why do we need to know this?"
In Exodus, the Levites are told to build a tabernacle so that God could come down and reside with them.  It was a structure that was continually taken apart and rebuilt, as the Levites moved.  It was also surrounded by the 12 tribes of Israel.
So, how does the way animal sacrifices were conducted back then affect us in today's day and age? Does it?  After reading it, I consulted my daughter, who was required to study the Bible in-depth as part of the requirements to become a music minister.
I know the tabernacle pointed to the coming of Christ, but I couldn't quite make the connection.  She said it to me this way.  First of all, when she read Leviticus she kept thinking of ALL the blood that was shed.  Yes, it would have been completely blood splattered.  What struck me was that God resided there and was physically with His people.   How does this relate to Christ coming?  Well, let's just jump to the bottom line...no one can keep all the laws that God laid out and therefore, we were in need of a Savior.  We were not perfect...Christ was.  So how was I going to sum up this topic of atonement?
One thing I did was share a picture of the tabernacle.  It is hard to imagine a structure which is built in cubits.  I am a visual learner and personally, cannot envision something that is described.  I need to see a reasonable facsimile of it.  And so, I did a search on the tabernacle and came up with an image that laid out how it looked and where various items were placed, such as the ark, the lampstands, the pillars, curtains, et cetera.  I also found a layout of where the 12 tribes of Israel were located.  Three tribes on each side of it.  Again, I couldn't speak to the significance of that; however, I am certain it must have been important and if I were in seminary, would certainly do more research. Since I am a layman and looking for THE most important information, I merely pointed out where the tribes were located.
Image result for 12 tribes of israel around the tabernacle 

One thing that helped was using my reference notes in my Bible.  When in doubt, read the footnotes.  I had an incredible summation in my Bible and I want to share it with you.
Old System of Sacrifice versus New System of Sacrifice:
1.  Temporary                                                   Permanent
2.  Aaron first high priest                                Jesus only High Priest
3.  From tribe of Levi                                      From tribe of Judah
4.  Ministered on Earth                                    Ministers in heaven
5.  Used blood of animals                                Uses blood of Christ
6.  Required many sacrifices                            Requires one sacrifice
7.  Needed perfect animal                                 Needs a perfect life
8.  Required careful approach to tabernacle     Encourages confident approach to throne 
9.  Looked forward to a new system                 Sets aside old system 
At the end of the day, this was, in fact one of our better Bible study lessons.  Not only did we have a larger class than usual, they had much to contribute from what they had gleaned from the chapters of the Bible we read.  As for myself, I discovered that even though parts of the Bible may be difficult to read, the lesson I learned was to do your research and never underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit.  He can take even the most difficult sections of the Bible and impart knowledge where there seems to be none.


No comments:

Post a Comment