Monday, January 11, 2016

Lazarus

"When he heard this, Jesus said, “This sickness will not end in death. No, it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.” John 11:4 (NIV)

Today I learned that David Bowie died.  I am sad.  Let's face it, his music transcended generations.  One of the first androgynous singers of our time, he later went on to reinvent himself in the 70's with his song "Let's Dance".  It made him a sex symbol.

I watched a video today that he made shortly before his death called, "Lazarus".  Again, a fabulous music masterpiece.  It rang even truer in my heart as I thought about my mom's struggle with cancer.  I don't know how he had the strength to make that video but perhaps he made it many months before?  The words to the song broke my heart and it was almost impossible to watch.  My mother was an incredibly witty woman.  When she passed, I found it impossible to believe that she was gone and we would no longer share our banter.  We held a wake for her where people saw her for the first time in months.  Gone was the lady with an incredible style and hospitality.  THAT was her legacy.

My father died 27 years ago.  I was 28 years old when he passed away.  I am now my mother's age.  My girls were four and two at the time.  They are now 31 and 29.  Although my older daughter remembers him a little, my younger daughter has no memory of him.  My boys never knew him.  A shame, because he had so much knowledge to share.  He was, in my estimation, a talented physician who had a gift for diagnosing illness.  He had little tact with his patients but they did not care because he could figure out what was wrong with them.  Despite his lack of tact, they loved him and we held a two day wake which was packed.  THAT was his legacy.

David Bowie's death reminded me of our mortality.  He was only 69 years old.   It makes me wonder...what will be my legacy?   Life is fleeting and there are no guarantees of tomorrow.  

I hope that my teaching, writing and one day, ministry will have engaged people enough to say, now that -- THAT was her legacy.  However, at the end of the day, the love for my children, grandchildren and now, fiancĂ© are enough.  I don't foresee any lines winding around the funeral home nor are they necessary.

I hope my family will go home, lift a margarita in my honor and say, "That was one helluva lady!" Then, go home and live life!  Work on the things they find important.  Because at the end of the day, THAT will be their legacy.

So, Mr. Bowie, you were an original and one who left an incredible musical legacy.   I thank you for your songs that remind me of my teenage years and early adulthood.  And I thank you for your latest video because it serves as a reminder that one day, we will no longer be on this earth.  We are ultimately His masterpiece and the legacy we leave will be glorified in Him.

"Lazarus" by David Bowie
https://youtu.be/y-JqH1M4Ya8

No comments:

Post a Comment