Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Christmas Newsletter 2015



 

 
Dear Friends,

Well, here it is the holiday season again.  Seems like it came a little bit earlier this year.  I suppose it did -- what with Black Friday now being moved up to Thanksgiving.  We barely got past Halloween and the Christmas trees were up.  Truthfully, I kind of like it.  Makes the season that much longer.  And yes, Christmas is one of my favorite holidays.

This past year has not been without its ups and downs.  Mostly ups; definitely an improvement over last year!  My job description at work has changed -- a little.  I am now a self-contained SLD teacher.  Although that was my title last year, it really is what I do this year.  I work with children with specific learning disabilities and teach English, U.S. History, Government, Math Applications, Study Skills, Prevocations and Social Skills.  Try saying it let alone, planning for it! But, I love my job and hardly a day passes that I don't thank God for allowing me to do what I do.  It is a humbling experience to watch these young men and women not only learn how to adapt, but thrive with their disabilities.   I pray each and every day for my students on the way to work.  Of course, there are days that are more difficult than others but for the most part, I can't complain.  Some days, my heart swells with pride as I watch the enormous strides these young adults make, both in and out of the classroom. I really love working with them!  Not sure they feel the same way but I can say this -- they do, for the most part, behave in my classroom.  And, all of my firsts period students show up nearly everyday unless they are really sick (and sometimes, even when they are!)  That, my friends, is the true test of kids liking your class!

 I also still tutor two evenings a week for children who are unable to be in the foster care system.  I'm not sure of their entire situation, other than they live on a campus outside of the Las Vegas area.  It is a beautiful location and I love the drive up there.  Some of the students have changed from last year; a few have left.  Although I hate to see them go, it is nice knowing that they are finally able to have a more stable home life.  The ones we work with are quite bright, and I enjoy getting to work with them as well.  Truly, it's not just a paycheck but an honor.  I know that sounds kitschy and somewhat insincere, but it's the truth.

But enough of my work life.  I'm sure you're itching to hear about my personal life; and what a doozy it has been!   This year, I decided it was time to jump in and start dating.  I'm not sure how I feel about it.  In Las Vegas, it is impossible for me to meet anyone, and so I went the dating website route.  The truth is, I don't think the websites are for me.  I've known a few people who have met their spouses online.  However, as my life continues, I find that I am looking for more of a friend than a boyfriend.  Go figure.  Reverting back to my role in high school -- always the friend, never the girlfriend?!  Seriously, remarriage is not even on my radar at this point in time.  I am finding that with age, I have much I want to do and unfortunately, it doesn't seem I have years and years with which to do it.  I am no longer that young girl with dreams; rather, I feel like it's a "now or never" proposition.  Besides, I've only met one guy online who's a "keeper".  He's a great friend and makes me laugh -- a LOT!  I have a feeling we will be there through thick and thin.  Just not for better or worse! 

I have considered moving out of the Las Vegas area but the truth is, I think I will be here forever or until retirement; whichever comes first.  I really do not wish to start over again.   That would mean becoming a probationary teacher -- "Got en himmel!"  (translated from German -- God in heaven!) Yeah, I don't see that happening.  As much as I miss the grandbabies, that will have to come at a later time -- a MUCH later time!

If you haven't been reading my blog (yes, a shameless plug!), I attended an amazing seminar a few weeks ago for Oola.  You know, the lifestyle I ascribe to?  Yes, I finally got a chance to meet the OolaSeeker and OolaGuru and Company.   I also made some great friends!   It was an amazing seminar and helped me to plan my life for the next year.  I set many goals.  Sometimes my head spins at the thought of them -- but then, I realize, I have a year with which to meet them and I just have to  take each day as it comes.

As for my book...ah yes, I completed it over Christmas break last year!  My biggest hurdle is paying off the publisher in order to get it on the shelves.  That is huge -- but I know, not impossible.  I just need to stay focused...Oola at its finest!  Of course, there is more to this plan than just stocking bookshelves.  Stay tuned to find out what happens next!  (Don't you love it?  I'm sort of like the "Bold and Beautiful", "Search for Tomorrow" and "Survivor" all rolled into one!) 

As you can see, it has once again been a crazy, amazing year.  Life is better than I ever imagined, and I truly love the journey I'm on.  Of course, I have many friends that help me through the day-to-day and for you, a special "thank you".  Some are near while others are far; but all I hold in my heart.  As always, God is first and foremost.  And so as I close, I pray that life holds many special memories for you and that you have a year like no other. As it says in Numbers 6:24-26, may the Lord bless you and keep you; may the Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; may the Lord lift up His countenance upon you ...and give you peace.

Have a blessed holiday season and beyond!
Lisa

My gift to you:

"Christmas Through Your Eyes" by Gloria Estefan
http://youtu.be/GJVY0MX8ihI

2 comments:

  1. Glad to know though the year has been up and down its been good :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete, God is good! And yes, my life is nothing short of interesting! ; )

    ReplyDelete