Thursday, November 27, 2014

The Assignment

 
 

The day before Thanksgiving break, the twelfth grade English teacher I work with gave an assignment.  It was that the students were to make a "bucket list".  Now, I've had a thing or two that I've put on my personal "bucket list," yet never had an all-encompassing one.  The assignment was to write down 100 items on your list.  I decided to do it just for fun.  To see what all I wanted to do and haven't.  I was surprised by how many things I still wanted to accomplish. 
 
The average age for a woman today is 82 years old.  That gives me approximately 28 years, give or take, to get through my list.  I'm not sure I can get through 100 items but perhaps, I can get closer than I was.  I'm going to share my partial list with you for two reasons.  One, I'm hoping it will inspire you to make your own "bucket list."  In other words, don't wait to live -- live now!  Tomorrow may never come.  The other reason is to serve as a benchmark and to sort of mentally check them off as I go.  
 
 Lisa's Bucket List:
 
1.  Take a Mediterranean cruise.  Travel around Turkey, Greece, Italy and Monte Carlo. Yes, this is my dream vacation.
 
2.  Travel to India and ride an elephant.
 
3.  Travel to Thailand and see a Buddhist temple.
 
4.  Parasail.
 
5.  Skydive -- must be in tandem with an instructor.
 
6.  See the Grand Canyon.  Take a helicopter ride over it.
 
7.  Hike the Utah mountains.
 
8.  Go to California.  See the wine country as well as Hollywood.  Walk down Rodeo drive.
 
9.  Lose 50 lbs.
 
10.  Go to Hawaii. Visit Maui and Waikiki.
 
11.  See ALL of my grandkids get married.
 
12.  Be a motivational speaker.
 
13.  Publish my book.
 
14.  Camp in Bend, Oregon for a summer.
 
15.  Live in a house by a lake.  The house must have a deck, so I can have my coffee out there every morning.
 
16.  Write another book. (or five)
 
17.  Get a 6-pack (and not beer)!  I am talking physically fit!
 
18.  Go to Israel, visit all the Holy places and be baptized in the Jordan River.
 
19.  Go jet skiing. (Nope, never been!)
 
20.  Eat dinner at the Eiffel Tower in the Paris hotel.
 
21.  Go see a headliner at Caesar's Palace.
 
22.  Have a picnic on a mountain -- where there's a fabulous vista!
 
23.  Visit Auschwitz museum in Germany.
 
24.  Spend the summer with all 5 of my grandchildren, watching Nick at Night and staying up as late as we want!
 
25.  Learn how to garden in the desert.
 
26.  Learn how to bake pies and cinnamon rolls like my grandmother did.
 
27.  Go to a spa for the day.
 
28.  Find the love of my life.
 
So, I've given you a partial list.  It is 28 things -- one, for each year that the bureau of statistics says I have remaining.   The truth is, none of us knows the future.  I could have a day left -- I could have 54 more years left.   Will  I ride an elephant in India  Who the heck knows!  But I do know,  I have thrown them into the universe and now, it's up to God.  In my best teacher voice, this is my assignment for you.  Throw caution to the wind and write out your own "bucket list."  Dream it.  Write it.  Then give it to God.  If it's in His plan, you will Do it!  There are a thousand reasons why you shouldn't write out your list but only one reason why you should...because you can!  Then wait...
 
For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

2 comments:

  1. Great stuff ... but disappointed with the lack of coffee mentions :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw your comment Peter Woolston (8/2/15) -- ok, add get a flat white in Australia after I visit the great barrier reef!

      Delete