Saturday, August 23, 2014

Discernment: Listening for God's Voice










"Listen to your gut."  It's the advice I seem to get a lot of these days.  I know what my gut is saying, but what are my head and heart saying?  Hmmm...somehow, the two just don't seem to be in sync.  Therein, lies the problem.

You see, I believe your gut is God speaking to you.  Somehow, you have a feeling inside that helps you ascertain right from wrong.  A lot of people have that feeling but they brush it off.  I know I've done it and I'll dare say, you have too. 

Here's the thing.  We need to listen to our gut.  That is actually the Holy Spirit speaking to us and He's telling us some really important stuff.  For instance, have you ever had a feeling about someone but somehow, there is something that is not quite right?  From a logical standpoint, we may justify it in our heads and say, "You're imagining things."  I suppose that could be true.  Likewise, it could indeed be something that is whispered in our hearts by God.  Something that we know we should listen to.

Years ago, I discovered that I had a discerning spirit.  To me, it's a gift from God as it has helped me in many difficult situations.  One day I was sitting down with a gentleman and his wife; both Christians.  We were at a mutual friend's house.  I'd never met the man and his wife before, but I definitely had an uneasiness as I sat down and listened to them talk.  The gentleman was eating crackers and yet, when he offered them to me, I refused; simply because I did not want to touch the box he was touching.  I didn't know why I felt so strongly about this person, but I did.  It was a feeling of the presence of evil.  After he and his wife left, my friend turned to me and said, "He was a murderer."  I couldn't quite wrap my head around that but he added, "He was a member of Hamas."  Most have heard of this group.  My goal is not to get into the politics, but rather, simply to point out that my spirit knew on some level that he had something about him; and my spirit did not like it.  The Holy Spirit was indeed letting me know that there was something not quite right.  And my Christian friend had indeed confirmed it. 

I'll give you another example.  I accepted my first teaching job in 2007. It was for an inner city school.  I was very excited about the job; it was a school that was considered top notch and also seemed to have an amazing administrator.  It was a good fit, as far as jobs go.  The first day that teachers reported to the school, I walked into my classroom and instantly knew I was not supposed to be there.  My gut was screaming, "Leave!"  Let me tell you, that is a killer!  Spending four years getting my degree and wanting that first job so badly; knowing if you turn it down, it is a potential career killer.  Yet, my spirit kept nagging me to leave.  Finally, I drove some distance to human resources to sign my contract and explained I could not take the job.  They told me to talk to my site administrator.  Well, bottom line is I did.  And I did not take the job.  I went home and cried for days.  I spoke with a friend who told me, her spirit was telling her that I needed to "Be still and know that He is God."  I took that advice.  I read my Bible and sat on my front porch and just looked at the nature outside.   I still cried for a few days but got over it.  That event happened the second week of August.  Labor Day week-end, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer.  I took her home with me and took care of her until she passed away.  You see, God was telling me that He had a different plan for me; a better plan.  I didn't know that at the time, but as hard as it was to say "no" to that first job, I "listened to my gut."  And although my mother passed away, I was able to care for her as I had always promised her I would.   Additionally, I was able to secure employment at a time that coincided with God's plan and purpose; when the timing was right and without any difficulty. 

I've given you a couple of examples of discernment but perhaps you are like me and actually need a good, solid definition.  So here is one from www.dictionary.com  It says it comes from the verb discern which means to distinguish or discriminate.   That's not bad but I wonder if there's a definition from a Christian perspective?   The website www.yourspiritualgifts.com describes it in the following manner:

Discernment—This (spiritual) gift equips one to know instinctively what is going on beyond the surface, whether of a situation or an individual. Those with the gift of discernment have the ability to determine genuineness or phoniness.

I'd say that's pretty close.  It is a spiritual gift, given by the Holy Spirit.  It helps us determine what is genuine.  The site goes on to list attributes of those who possess the gift of discernment.


  • Are good judges of character
  • Are able to understand different personality types
  • Are aware of things that go on under the surface in people and situations
  • Can quickly recognize authenticity and see through falsity
  • Can sense the Spirit’s working (forces of good) and Satan’s attacks (forces of evil)


Obviously, Jesus was able to discern things.  In Mark 2:8 (NIV) it says, "Immediately Jesus knew in his spirit that this was what they were thinking in their hearts, and he said to them, "Why are you thinking these things?" 

John 6:63 (NIV) says, " The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you—they are full of the Spirit[a] and life."


1 Corinthians 12:10 (Tthe Message) describes it as, " God’s various gifts are handed out everywhere; but they all originate in God’s Spirit. God’s various ministries are carried out everywhere; but they all originate in God’s Spirit. God’s various expressions of power are in action everywhere; but God himself is behind it all. Each person is given something to do that shows who God is: Everyone gets in on it, everyone benefits. All kinds of things are handed out by the Spirit, and to all kinds of people! The variety is wonderful:

wise counsel
clear understanding
simple trust
healing the sick
miraculous acts
proclamation
distinguishing between spirits
tongues
interpretation of tongues.

All these gifts have a common origin, but are handed out one by one by the one Spirit of God. He decides who gets what, and when."

The bottom line is that although not everyone recognizes the gift of discernment, God does.  He sends the Holy Spirit to convict our hearts and speaks to us in a still, small voice.  He can do it in many ways; through His word, other Christians or even listening to music.  This YouTube video describes how we can hear that "Still, Small Voice."   Listen and open your hearts so you too can hear Him speak.

http://youtu.be/ZzU0x1lFvBw









No comments:

Post a Comment