Wednesday, June 25, 2014

To My Life Mentor




Dear Life Mentor,

It seems impossible that I have known you over a year.  Not personally per se, but you have had enough of an influence in my life that I believe I need to write you.

As I read of your life's journey, I see a lot of similarities.  One of the biggest is brokenness.  After coming out of your divorce, you chose the road of getting your life back together; most likely because you didn't have a choice.  More importantly, was the speed with which you were able to do it.  It is because of your story and encouragement that I believe I would not be where I am today; you have made a profound difference in my life!

We became online buddies quite by accident.  It is through our communications that you made me believe there is life for people after divorce.  I don't think you know how significant that is!

One of the biggest things you taught me was how to have fun again.  I remember it was in the fall.   You told me to go rent a movie and watch it with my kids.  Oh, and have popcorn with M&M's in it.  Genius -- really!  I never thought something so simple (and inexpensive) could be so earth-shattering fun -- but it was!  Not only did I enjoy it but so did my kids.  It brought a sense of normalcy back to our home for the first time since the divorce.  By the way, vanilla yogurt raisins are far better than the M&M's.  Just thought you might want a "head's up."

When I was going through my first Thanksgiving, you checked in with me periodically and got me through that important day.  I enjoyed hearing bits and bobs about your holiday, which seemed to take my mind off of myself and that ever-difficult first holiday alone.  You taught me that building new traditions was the key to not just survival, but embracing life post-divorce. You were right.  

We came upon Christmas and we kept in touch a little; just enough to make it through the holiday.  I believe you suggested I go out to a movie.  I went to Walter Mitty with one of my boys.  That was a day that I was charged as a "senior" and I was beside myself, even though seniors are 50 years old in Nevada.  You laughed and said go get some popcorn with the savings.  Yes, that took the sting out.

I must confess,  you remind me of the baby brother I never had growing up.  I like that you have a certain wisdom of having lived.  You have experienced much in your young life.  You are spiritual, kind and despite your success, humble.  You have shown me how to have gratitude for all things in life; the good and the bad.  You have taught me that life is a journey.  You have showed me how to have balance in my life.  I am not there yet, but one day, I believe I will be.

As time passes, your success is skyrocketing.  I am in fact, happy for you.  Of course, that means our communication is winding down.   God put you in my life for a reason and most likely, just that season.   We may or may not ever cross paths but despite it all, you have been one of those people I deem as an "earthly" angel.  Through it all, you have taught me valuable lessons; the biggest ones were to go after your dreams and that nothing is impossible.

I doubt that I would have had the courage to write a book, were it not for you.  You have guided, counseled and lifted me up.  You have done so despite your time constraints and given of self without asking for anything in return.  That is truly a gift you have given to me.  One day, I hope to have the opportunity to pay it forward.

And so life mentor, know that in my heart, I am ever-thankful  That you have helped me in ways that are immeasurable and I praise God for putting you in my life during that ever difficult period.  As you continue your work, know that it has touched me to my core and served me well.  I am a different person because of you.

God bless you as you continue on your life journey,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment