Thursday, June 5, 2014

Milestones




 I remember as a teenager listening to Alice Cooper's song "School's Out for the Summer".  Summer was definitely around the corner when the DJ's played that on the radio.   Who knew some 40 years later, I would be an educator in my own right.  Today as I walked through various classrooms, I noticed the bare walls.  A bit of sadness came over me.  Another year is over. 

I moved to high school after 3 1/2 years as a teacher in a self-contained room where I taught students with autism in grades 3-5.  It was no small feat, and I was definitely in my "groove".  Yet, I felt God calling me to a new place.  I accepted the challenge, and it was not easy.  Definitely, another baptism by fire!  However, as with all things, God opened a door and I walked through it.  And it was fine.  Some days were harder than others; yet, I was able to withstand the complexity and turmoil.  If you asked me what all I did this year that was different than in years past, I would tell you; everything!  Yet, God made it possible. 

"Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible."  Matthew 19:26  (NIV)

One thing we are taught as educators is to reflect.  Reflect on your lessons, your student interaction, your day.   At times, it can become overwhelming and almost a compulsive habit.  Today, I am reflecting on my school year.  I'm thinking about it all; the lessons, the students, the days that have passed.

It has been a good year in many ways.  I have watched children grow, learn and graduate.  It feels amazing to see a child with special needs get that diploma.  They have earned it!  I know that it was not easy for them because as a special educator, I have at times hit road blocks in my trying to advocate for them.  Despite those times, I will always find my voice -- for them.

 As they grow older, we teach them to advocate more and more for themselves.   High school is one step away from adulthood and the "real world".  This is a crucial time for them to understand that projects must be completed; that they should work to get along with peers and teachers.  Life is not always very kind; in fact, it can be downright cruel.  In the "real world", if they choose not to do something a boss has asked them to do, they will most likely be fired.  It is something we stress.  Many understand; others, just don't quite get it.  They will one day, though.  They will learn through life's experience.  You can't always shelter children from that.

I have worked with students from grades 9-12 and even beyond.  Each one is different.  Each one has their own set of special circumstances.  Each year, the school year begins with expectations; hopes to teach them something new.  This year is the first time I saw incredible growth in the students I worked with.   It is a nice change, and one that fills my heart with joy.

As I look around my room one last time, I see the boxes that are packed in anticipation to a move to a new classroom.  I stare at the bare walls.  I listen to the stillness and quiet.  It is an empty place -- one that was so full of life just a few days ago.   I close my classroom door with a little more knowledge myself.  It's the knowledge that all  my students are special; whether they have special needs or not.  I think it is safe to say that we have all grown this year; whether it was through writing lessons or some other experience; a "life" experience.  I leave the building with the satisfaction of knowing that I have helped many children take steps toward that milestone called adulthood.  It is an incredible feeling -- and one that will linger in the coming days!


















2 comments:

  1. Inspiring! I must admit - I don't have the patience to be a teacher. I admire those who have the courage to take on the challenge - it's such an important job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your encouragement. Some days are harder than others but I wouldn't do anything else! It's not courage per se but rather all for God's glory!

    ReplyDelete