Friday, April 18, 2014

The Butterfly






And so God's trajectory is set in motion.  I met a man the other day -- just as I was preparing to sign off the websites forever.  It was a matter of days before my subscription expired and was just going to close up my account.  But as I was preparing to do so, I had a message that was sent to me via e-mail.  I said aloud to myself, "What loser is it this time?"  For truly, my experiences on this website have been less than stellar.

When I opened the e-mail, I didn't recognize the face but I sure recognized the profile.  It was someone I'd found incredibly humorous and wanted to get to know.  He'd written, "Let's chat" -- and so we did.

Interesting thing about God's timing -- it's never our own. And so, we began to get to know one another via telephone and text.  And the more we wrote, I found the greater the depth of his spirit.  Hard to believe from a man who used the song, "I Feel Pretty" in describing himself on his profile.  Yet, there he was; a kindred soul and one I adore.  And so, a relationship was born.  Truly unexpected and at a time when I realized I don't need anyone to make me whole.   I look to him and ask, "Are you sure you want to take me on?"  He assures me that he does; a generous spirit, full of love and  filled with laughter.

And so, that elusive butterfly has landed just long enough for me to examine it really closely.  It is beautiful.  As it flies toward me, I see not only its beauty but the strength in its wings, which carries it on a path that God has put it on.  It's a journey of a lifetime.  It's a journey that's been waiting to happen for a long time.  As it makes its way through time, this butterfly lands in my outstretched hands.  It sits patiently as I wrap my fingers lovingly around it and hold it gently. It relaxes, as if to signal it is there to stay.  It is a treasure; one I have longed for.  This butterfly is mine -- it's here; perhaps for a moment or maybe a lifetime.  It is there for as long as God allows it to stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment