Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Taking Charge

... Retirement Quotes Funny Quotes About Life About Friends and Sayings

Today, I did it.  I took a good hard look at what retirement will look like when I'm 67.  I think the financial advisor was somewhat disbelieving at the horror of my financial situation, but after sitting down with him, I found that life is not as grim as I thought.  To him, it's horrific but then again, it's all in how you see it.

First of all, I need to rectify some of the wrongs that have been done to me.  Although I have not wanted to do it, I now realize I have no choice.  I will be taking my ex-husband back to court in order to get him to pay on the student loans.  It is court ordered and he owes half.  I have struggled with doing so, because of our children.  However, it is time to do it or I may never be able to retire.

Secondly, I can pay into my teacher's retirement account to buy years   Prior to today, I thought you had to buy in with a lump sum; not so.   I can make installment payments.   To buy 2 years, will get me a 5% greater payout when I do ultimately retire.  It's worth it, according to the financial advisor.  I could not make that on any investment.    I also have the option to not ever retire and just draw social security while I'm working.  With two months off every year, do I need to retire?

Third, I definitely need to pay off my half of the student loans.  As a teacher, I qualify for forgiveness as a public servant.  If I make 10 years of on-time payments, the rest will be forgiven -- provided that program is available when I get past my bankruptcy.  If not, I definitely qualify for a $17,500 forgiveness working for a Title 1 school.  Again, provided the program is available.

Although the Edward Jones representative cringed as I told him my story and looked at my finances,  I  was pleased by the information I gleaned.  Truth be told, no one likes to look at negative numbers on their balance sheet.  Make no mistake, I am quite broke.  However, I have hope.  That's all I needed to hear.  I. Have. Hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment