Sunday, April 17, 2016

What are YOUR Financial Goals?

Financial Peace University Financial peace university


Teacher burn-out.  It happens to the best of us.  When I was in school, I was told it would hit between years five and eight; however, if you got past your eighth year, you would last forever.  It hit me two years ago -- year seven.  I have hung in there and am now finishing up my eighth year.  Years six, seven and eight coincide with my having worked summer school, so I am wondering if that has something to do with it.  I'm not sure.

Don't get me wrong.  I love the kids.  I love teaching.  The problem is that it is no longer about that; it has become about budgets, latest educational trends and circumstances that are dictated by those that are not in education.  It is parents who think special education is free tutoring, teachers who are unable to give a child time to develop at their own pace because of the break-neck speed at which they have to teach in order to keep up with the demands placed on them.  It is about the mountains of paperwork, endless meetings and countless demands placed on us as educators.  It is about the lack of respect that we get, despite the fact most of us hold Master's degrees and have paid dearly for them, despite a menial salary.

"But you only work 7 hour days!  And you're off all summer!"  I beg to differ.  There are many of us that hold second jobs and work summer school, just to pay our bills.  Or declare bankruptcy, as I was forced to do because I could no longer keep up with my bills despite working three jobs post-divorce without it taking a toll on my health.  I'm fifty-six years old and I can no longer keep up with that pace.  I'm not an anomaly, in that respect.

I don't ask for sympathy.  I went into education at a later age, because I loved children and teaching.  I wanted to make a difference.  I didn't get that satisfaction in the corporate world, even though my salary was triple what I made when I started teaching.  Now, I am rethinking that decision.  I am only eight years into teaching and have over $100K in student loans.  Interest is accumulating daily.    Working the day-to-day is not going to pay those off.  I could resign myself to working until I drop.  That is a distinct possibility.   The other possibility is to start a side business and when the income surpasses my teaching income, leave the profession.  I have decided to do the latter.

I am a very deliberate person, with a keen eye for business.  I know a good opportunity when I see it.  I also have to believe in the product to sell it.  I have found that in Young Living Essential Oils.  This is not an overnight gig.  In business, you bust your tail off.  It takes time, effort and goal-setting.  I, for one, am willing to do all of the above.  Young Living is only the start; I plan to also become a consultant for Rodan + Fields.  Again, another company whose product I can get behind. 

Having an entrepreneurial spirit is not easy but to me, it is fun!  I enjoy showcasing the products I love and the best part of this, is helping others get on their feet financially.  I predict within five years, I will be financially free.  I know I can do this.  It is what I want more than anything! 

So, what are your financial goals?  Have you thought about them?  Sit down and make a list of all of your debt.  And then, I challenge you to develop a plan for attacking it.  Personally, I recommend Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.  It helped me tremendously.  Prior to taking the class, I didn't even know how to write a budget.  I do now and more importantly, know how to stick with it.

Life is good but it will be better.  It takes time to get on your feet, especially if you have gone through a financially catastrophic experience.  Take an hour today and assess where you are financially.  There is no good or bad.  It is, what it is.  Then, take action.  Go to www.daveramsey.com  You can buy his book or take his course.  It doesn't matter because all of his advice is sound.  And then, move forward, so you can live the life you deserve.

 "Live like no other, so you can live like no other." --Dave Ramsey

No comments:

Post a Comment