Sunday, August 9, 2015

My Oola Journey: From Fat to Fabulous





So, three guesses as to what you think this blog is about?  If you guessed cheating on my diet, you would be right -- sort of!  It's actually about how I didn't cheat on my diet-- despite the fact that I was so desperate to self-sabotage myself.  So, how did I do it?  And what made the difference this time versus all other times before when I was faced with this situation?

First of all, yesterday was a difficult day because I was hungry ALL day!   Seriously!!   My guess is it was because I exercised quite vigorously the day before.  Forty-five minutes of tennis in the heat followed by swimming and pool calisthenics.  Yes, for this eating plan, it was extreme.  You are really not supposed to engage in much more than a bit of walking during the weight loss portion of this plan because it is only 1000 calories per day and to expend energy on so few calories would put you into a "starvation" mode; in other words, your body would think it was starving and hold onto your weight.  Plus -- it would make sense that you would be hungry.  Fortunately, this is only during the initial weight loss phase.  Once you lose weight and are eating more calories, exercise is definitely encouraged.

In any case, last night I had the "munchies" -- big time!  And sitting in the fridge were some chocolate covered macadamia nuts.  Not mine but a friend's -- and I wanted them with every fiber of my being!  Well, I ended up eating a couple of snacks and finally, just gave up and went to bed since the snacks really didn't kill the craving.  Frankly, I was surprised that I was craving sugar at all because I have not experienced that since starting this program -- aside from the first few days on it.

As I was perusing the refrigerator, a voice told me to think about all I had accomplished and did I really want to risk not being able to get back on program?  Starting it was hard.  Some days it is downright difficult to stay on track.  However, I have been determined.  I also knew that it was more than the food that was the problem -- it was the mindset.  You see, I could have eaten those few chocolates with the intention of getting back on program tomorrow.  However, would I actually be able to do it?  Last time I did something like that -- I ate a donut after losing 40 pounds at the urging of a "friend" -- and it was all over.  I gained back the 40.  And frankly, I have worked hard to lose the weight that is gone.  My only option, after eating the 200 calories in extra snacks was to go to bed.  Was it a great solution?  Probably not.  But if avoidance works at this point, I say, "Do it!"

So what is the difference between my being on this program and any other?  The truth is, it is me that has changed.  I don't just want to be healthy -- I deserve to be healthy!  I also like the way I am looking.  People are starting to notice.  They are commenting on my shorter hair (although it's been like that for a couple of months).  I think they notice something is different, they just aren't sure what...and if they ask me if I've lost weight, it implies I need to!  I dare say, after another 10 pounds, they will be certain that I am losing weight and will begin to comment.  I'll let you know in a future blog.

This morning, I woke up feeling like, "Wow -- I ate those extra calories!  I wonder what they did to me?"  As life should have it, I actually lost weight!  Yes, I am now down 16.5 pounds.  I am very close to my 20 pound goal that I had set for 8/19 -- the day I return to work.  I plan to lose another 8-10 pounds a month from here on out.  Is it doable?  Yes!  I believe it will happen with every fiber of my being.



Why was I able to fend off last night's craving versus any other time I have been trying to lose weight?  First of all, I owe all glory to God!  Without Him, I am certain I would have eaten those chocolates!  Additionally, I have committed to losing weight.  With commitment, you plan -- what are you eating?  What do you do when you are stressed?  What happens when you are hungrier than usual? Whereas, if I were motivated, my ability to follow-through on this plan would wax and wane according to my mood.  Motivation has a short time period, where commitment has no time...you just take it as it comes until the job is completed.

Will I always be able to say, "No?"  I hope so.  There are no guarantees in this world.  I do know this.  I am working hard to get my Oola Life.  I am beginning to see how the seven key areas of fitness, faith, field, friends, fun, finance and family have a synergistic effect on one another.  But that's a topic for a whole other blog.  For now, suffice it to say that if I can do this, so can you.  It is not easy; you have to pick and choose what you want from life.  For now, I choose freedom from medication and long-term health.  And if I look a little better in the process?  Well, that would be the icing on the cake -- metaphorically speaking!

No comments:

Post a Comment