Friday, August 7, 2015

Lessons from DCI 2015

photos courtesy of BlueDevils.org
 


If you like to watch marching bands, then Drum Corp International is for you.  It is marching band on steroids.  Each winter, musicians of all ages try out for the corps.  Every May, the musicians who are chosen, join their respective corps and go on a 2 1/2 month tour across the country.  Make no mistake, these musicians are the best of the best. However, they are not just musicians but really, artists.  They not only play their instruments and carry props,  but perform physical feats that outright amazes me.  It is a "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity, as the performers "age-out" at 22.   

I know all this because my son is in drum corps.  Before he left for camp this year, he was told by the coaches he needed to be able to run 5 miles before he arrived.  Aside from marching band, my son has never exercised for fitness.  Yet, that is exactly what he trained for because he knew, that is the kind of stamina that is required to perform at this level of competition.  To give you a better idea, the performers in his show warm up for ninety minutes prior to their twelve minute show. 

Last night, I went to our local cinema to watch the live stream of the quarter-finals competition.  I don't know all the ins and outs of drum corps.  Due to distance and finances, I am unable to be more involved to attend activities such as family days and competitions.  I do, however, make the yearly screening to watch the top 25 corps.  The competition is so tight that the top 5 scores last night were within tenths and hundredths of a point difference.  The competition is keen and the musicians perform at their peak. 

I write this, not because I am a proud mother but to illustrate a point.  Can one be passionate about something at such a young age?  Or do you need to have lived life before you find your passion?  Let's look at my son.

He began band in sixth grade.  After a trip to the local music store, he decided on the trumpet; rather reluctantly as I recall. He really wanted to play trombone like his older brother but decided on something a little different.  I don't think he ever looked back except to play euphonium when asked by his band director. 

When we moved to Las Vegas, he had to try out for marching band unlike St. Louis, where he would have made it, just by virtue of having played in middle school.  I saw a post on Facebook the other day which highlighted the anniversary of the day he made marching band!  He was incredibly thrilled and gave it his all.  His first year of high school, he participated in all the bands, which was quite substantial; even to the detriment of his studies.

The next year, I took a hard stance and told him, he could not do marching band until his grades improved.  We made a pact.  He would participate in fewer bands and more on his studies.  It worked.  His grades improved and he was able to stay in marching band.

His junior year, he was a section leader.  He also asked me if he could try out for the U.S. Army All-American band.  Not understanding the enormity of this opportunity, I told him (rather flippantly) if it didn't cost anything.    He said it didn't.  He practiced and practiced, marching around our small patio.  He submitted a video.  From 7,000 applicants, he made the cut -- 1 of 150!  He travelled to San Antonio that year to march in the U.S. Army All-American game.   I suddenly realized his talents and passion far exceeded that of the "usual" high school student. 

The next year, he tried out for Drum Corps International.  He made the team!  Make no mistake, this was no small investment -- it was $3,000 for the summer plus trips back and forth to his team's home state for camps between the months of January and May.  It was a struggle for me, as I was newly divorced; however, I felt he needed something positive in his life.  His dad and I agreed to split the expenses and did so that first year.

The following year, he tried out again, and made the same team.  Again, he travelled but this time, he paid for his trip.  I no longer could afford to fund his passion.  I wished I could help more but also, I know his paying for the trip helped to not only build character but also, show him how much sweeter the success is if you work for it yourself.  AND if you want it bad enough, it will help you sift through those passing fancies to determine whether or not it is truly a passion.

This year is his third year in drum corps.  He made one of the more "elite" corps.  It was a $4000 expense.  He dropped out of college in order to work and fund the trip.  I'm not sure how I feel about his leaving college but also, I know this is something that he needs to do while he is young and unfettered by life.  Although he has a girlfriend, she understands his drive and passion since she too, has marched drum corps.  Best of all, he is living his dream; his passion.

Last night's marching bands had me thinking-- what incredible drive and passion these young people have.  I don't know what my son's future holds; only that I know he will be successful in whatever he sets his mind to do.  I try to remember if I had that kind of passion at that age.  I don't think so.  I had ambition but not the drive to carry me through.  I loved broadcasting and worked in college radio stations for years.  I had a tremendous voice for news, but allowed other things to get in the way.   Clearly, that was not my passion but more, a hobby.

I think about his circumstances and how as a family, have struggled for money over the past few years.  Working hard has built character.  It has made him hone in on what really drives him and go after it; a laser pointed at the prize.

I have learned through my own circumstances that it is much better to find your passion at an early age.  I am doing it now because I took a huge side-step and never really discovered my passion until late in life!  As a result, I have to work incredibly hard because the time I have to spend on my passion is somewhat limited by my age.  I am entering the field late.  If this were marching band, I would have cost my team points.  The good news is, once on the field, you can prove yourself and perhaps, level it based on your drive.  My drive is high.  I love what I do, despite the fact that it takes up a lot of my "spare" time.  At this point, I don't care what it takes -- I want to be the best I can! 

My suggestion is, find your passion.  You will know when you find it because you will become all-consumed by it.   Next, do what it takes to be the best.  And regardless of the outcome or what others say, never stop.  I'm on break from school the next two weeks and I'm still writing and working.   Why?  Because I believe in what I do and love doing it!  I don't know God's plan for my life but I trust Him.  He has filled me with words -- those are my musical scores!  I continue to let Him use me as His instrument in the greatest performance of all; my life.

Video courtesy of Blue Devils Drum Corps
https://youtu.be/5p1EOCJheuE



2 comments:

  1. Incredible Dedication and Teamwork!!! Enjoyed the significant improvement over the summer! Very exciting!

    ReplyDelete