Sunday, August 2, 2015

My Oola Journey: From Fat to Fabulous

stress eating



Update:  Today I sent my son a picture of myself.  He has not seen me since 6/25 when I began this weight loss program.  I wrote a note on the picture; -15 pounds -13 1/2 inches.  He wrote back, "Who is this?"  I had to chuckle.  Typical of my son.  The good news is, although I have 35 pounds left to lose, people are beginning to notice I've lost weight.

The last two weeks have been trying.  My weight plateaued and it felt like I was wearing lead boots.  Not only did I have to figure out the problem, but also manage to keep from self-sabotaging myself; a pattern in my weight loss history.

I plateaued for nearly two weeks, despite following the plan.  I was also exceedingly hungry.   I finally called a health coach who went over what I was eating.  We determined that perhaps it was the fact that I was expending a lot of energy in summer school and going into a "starvation mode."  She suggested I eat 1-2 more ounces of protein per day.  Also, I was having 2 sugar-free  popsicles in the evening.  Although only 30 calories, I learned that artificial sweeteners can also slow your progress on this program.  So, I gave up one of the popsicles, despite the fact it was only 15 calories, ate the protein and the problem was solved.  Within two days, the scale began to move again.

However, I also want to stress the progress I have made even when the scale didn't move -- my "NSV's" otherwise known as non-scale victories.  I have lost 13 1/2 inches.  Last week, we had a potluck at school.  I only ate the veggies sans dressing, despite a banana pudding that I know is "to die for," since it was at last year's luncheon.  I also tried on a pair of shorts that I could not close by 5 inches in the summer -- they fit!  It is these little milestones that make me understand I am changing; not just my body but my mindset.  It's that commitment that will carry me to the end of this journey.

School was also not without its own stresses, as was my life in general.  Just a little background on myself; at the age of 40, I became an emotional eater.  However, this week I had new resolve.  Despite life's ups and downs, I chose not to eat because of a problem; a conscious decision.  The older I get, the more I realize that life is full of problems; that is the norm, and eating your way through them only creates more. It's a vicious cycle to eat when stressed, then stress because of eating. 

I also went to a party last night.  There was all kinds of food including frozen pina coladas (I'm putting that one under the 'fruit' group) and giant red velvet cupcakes from Costco.  I chose veggies, salad, a small chicken breast and a deviled egg.  I passed on the alcohol, although I had a sip.  Yes, it was incredibly good but not worth messing up the 'fat burn' that takes place on this plan.  As for the cupcakes?  Well, let's just say I left the party early, as I felt my resolve getting weaker and weaker.  OK, maybe not the best choice but it was the best choice I could think of at the time. 

So, how was I able to walk away from all those goodies?  Summer school just finished and certainly, I have much to celebrate.  I could have eaten everything that was put out without a second thought.   However, I have to give all the glory to God on this one.  I am not, on my own, strong enough to resist these temptations.  I had been praying He would help me find a program that would work for my body and He led me straight to this one.  I have incredible support from my health coaches and others on the program.  My significant other is also cheering me on as well as adopting my new eating habits.  Gone are the carbs and sweets.  As a plus, he has lost as much weight as me and his doctor has reduced his diabetes medications.

I can't wait for the day I am medication-free.  I will have changed the course of my life by overriding my genetics with good health habits.  All I can say is that, like all change, it is not easy.  But, I keep God close in my heart and know that my body is His vessel to fill with the Holy Spirit.  I want to be the best I can be and with His help, will get there in His timing. 

2 comments:

  1. Losing weight and keeping the FAITH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete