Saturday, February 14, 2015

The Lord's Prayer




The Lords Prayer




Not many know this, but I used to live in the Middle East.  I spent five years there.  Cultural differences aside, it was a good five years.  Granted, there were some things I had trouble with but for the most part, it was an interesting part of my life's journey and one I will never forget.   To this day, I have American friends that still live there; in a tiny country called Kuwait.

I think many of you remember Kuwait.  It was that country that was at the center of Desert Storm.  It will always hold a special place for me, as will the people there.  While there, I practiced my faith.  It is a predominantly Muslim country and so the prayer calls are five times a day within a 24 hour period.  Some are in the middle of the night.  It is at first, distracting; almost annoying.  However, as time goes on, you become used to the call to prayer; even sleep through it. But the call itself is beautiful -- chanted in a melodic way.   More importantly, it reminded us Christians to pray.  And so we did; usually the Lord's Prayer.  You see, what others may see as an affront to "our" faith, we Christians used it  in a meaningful way to enrich our faith.  How many of you pray five times a day?  What about three times?  How about just once a day?  What is it that God says in the Bible?  Oh that's right, pray without ceasing!

Some of you may wonder why this particular subject?  Why the tone?  The attitude?  I'm writing about this today because yesterday, I read up on a story in the news about three young Muslim students that were killed.  Those three could easily have been my nieces or nephews.  And yes, although divorced, in my eyes (and theirs) they are still my family.  I feel very convicted these were not terrorists but merely young adults looking to get a good education; here in the United States.  And let's face it, for college, we have one of the best education systems in the world.  Many people travel the world over to come and study here.  So, these three are not unique.

As I was finishing up the article, I noticed a feed.  And it was moving at a mighty speed.  I began reading and was shocked at the hatred that was being spewed; mostly by "good" Christians.  Yes, there are terrorist groups in the world.  In fact, ever since I was a young child growing up, there have been terrorist groups.  The brutality of the new groups is indeed beyond anything we've witnessed; I'll grant you that.  It is, sickening and stomach-churning.  But there is a huge difference between terrorist and Muslim.  Muslims practice their faith; Islam.  Terrorists use fear and death as a means to get their way.  Make no mistake; they will take no prisoners.  They mean business, and I dare say, the majority of Muslims disagree with everything they stand for.  If you don't believe me, then read the newspaper.   Arab countries, predominantly Muslim, are now fighting against this threat to the region. 

Ladies and gentlemen,  this is the day and age of the Internet,.  Instant gratification.   It is all too easy to put our opinions "out there" behind a faceless computer screen.  And so, I am going to join the countless ones who did so the other day.  However, I am not going to resort to name-calling. and a hate-filled rant. Rather, I'm going to use logic and hopefully, some tact.  I'm also going to use the Bible.

I know it says, we are to love our neighbor as ourselves.  John 13:34  "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other."  Jesus loved us a lot.  So much, that he died nailed to a tree.  That's a lot of sacrificial love.  Is it too much to ask for?  Never mind love, even though it's commanded.  I'm just talking, tolerance, which Merriam-Webster defines as, "willingness to accept feelings, habits, or beliefs that are different from your own."  Think about that...can you go that far?  

What does the Bible teach about hate?  In John 8:7, there is a story about how a woman was an adulteress.  By law, she was to be stoned.  "When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.”   Are you without sin?  If so, then go right ahead and lob that rock.  But if not, you need to rethink your words and actions.  But, let me get you to consider some other things.  Do you somehow think you are setting the example?  That you are somehow above another human?  Because, trust me, you're not.  Christ came here to save them just as much as He came to save you.  In fact, he was criticized for sitting with the people of the day whom were considered undesirable by the mainstream.

The other day, I was in a sermon at a church I don't normally attend.  The pastor began talking about how we were chosen.   "WE  were chosen."  He kept stressing we; in a manner that, struck me as particularly arrogant.  Pardon me, pastor, but WE were not chosen.  The Jews were the chosen people, if you must know.  There is nothing special about us and the inflection in your voice implies that there is.  Frankly, in my humble opinion, that is a slippery slope.  We're now moving into Westboro Baptist territory by implying that somehow, God made us better than anyone else because WE were chosen.  No, we're no more special than anyone else.  We are all sinners in need of saving.  We were blessed because in some way, we received Christ as our Savior. 

Let me put it another way; we are here in America by our circumstance of being born here -- that's it. We were born into a predominantly Christian society.   Now, imagine you were not born in America.  Rather, raised in a culture that does not allow Christianity.  Instead of a church on every corner, there is a mosque.  They didn't have the fantastic forefathers we did, and so there is no freedom of religion.  That in fact, missionaries are killed for bringing a different message to you.    You are raised to believe that if you leave your faith, you are damned forever; not to mention, you will be disowned by everyone in your family.  Tell me, how does the Word get to you exactly?  How is it you are expected to believe anything different?  And are you still accountable to God?

It is a question I have struggled with for ages.  You see, in my mind, the Holy Spirit has to soften peoples' hearts in order for them to even begin to understand and know Jesus.  In Acts 10:44-48, it happens this way.  "While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45 The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. 46 For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.   Then Peter said, 47 “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” 48 So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days."

  And the idea of the Trinity?  That is blasphemy, in the eyes of any other faith.  "Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is One."   Not three, but one.    Unless you have a real understanding of Christianity, it is hard to grasp that concept.  Even the most devout Christian has probably struggled with the Trinity at one point or another in their faith journey.  I know I have tried many times to explain it to non-believers and I've yet to find an analogy to help them understand it.

So, how do we, as Christians, help peoples' hearts start to soften?  It begins with a prayer.  You pray for them.  Yes, you pray for your enemies.  Matthew 5:44 says, "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."  These are Jesus' words -- not mine.
Turn the other cheek.  Isn't that what Jesus said?  If you get slapped, then give them the other.  Matthew 5:39 says, "... If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."
Pray for those you despise.  Forgive them.  It is very easy in theory, and extremely difficult in practice.   Yet, it is necessary.  Our Lord called for it.  "Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us."  Do you want to be forgiven?  Because you better be willing to forgive others if you are expecting God to forgive you.  It's in the Lord's prayer -- God's very own words.

So, as you sit behind your computer screens, hurling insults to everyone and being incredibly judgmental, think about how you wish God to judge you.  Because that, my friends, is how you will be judged.  Do you want God to have a forgiving heart or reign down what you really deserve?  We are so incredibly sinful that Jesus died for us.   Shed His blood.  And while he was on the cross, asked for forgiveness for US.  He sacrificed for you and me and yes, for those who don't even know Him yet!

The truth is, I myself come off as pretty judgmental in this blog, which shows we are all culpable.  However, I speak out of love and with the Word of God.  We are people which means we have feelings and tend to think with our emotions rather than our head.  Yes, what has happened overseas is tragic.  What has happened over here is likewise tragic.  Thankfully, our God shows us mercy and forgiveness.  Is it too much to ask that we follow in His footsteps and set the example that He intended?  Let's raise the bar a little higher.  Next time, when you hear a controversial news story, don't-go-crazy.  We only know what the media tells us and that may or may not be accurate at the time.   Think about who is on the other side of that computer screen.  It could be someone that may be looking for hope in the midst of this crisis and you are slamming shut that door forever.  A door that has just a glimmer of light through a crack.  Those people you are slamming that door on may not matter to you but believe me, they matter to God.  He created them.  So, think before you speak...and hold these words in your heart:


PSALMS 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." 

Lastly, consider this...a poem by Jefferson Bethke.

Jesus > Religion

http://youtu.be/1IAhDGYlpqY

No comments:

Post a Comment