Saturday, February 7, 2015

It's Just... Life










Most people think being single is glamorous -- fun -- exciting.  Meeting new people, doing new things...it's not!  The truth is, being single can be daunting.  I have been blessed because God gave me a desire to overcome whatever hardships have been placed in my life.  I'm convinced, hardships never cease and yet, I will not give up.  I am determined to get through them; with a great attitude and never losing faith!

Take for instance, today.  For the first time in my life, I filed my taxes without someone else preparing them.  Yup!  This is a first for me.  I was raised with the belief that you needed an accountant.  Now, make no mistake -- if I could afford one, I would probably get one.  But, that is not an option.  And so, I decided to take a couple of hours and do my taxes via Turbo Tax, which many have said is a reliable and easy-to-follow program.  And so, I sat down, answered the questions and in a couple of hours, was finished.  Am I scared?  YES!  But, I refuse to let fear be my guiding force.  I answered the questions to the best of my ability, and like to believe, I did it correctly.  I did buy the audit protection -- you know, just in case!

I also took the morning to review my budget.  I have been feeling that I need to work harder at putting away money for savings but now realize why I haven't...there's none to spare!!  Yes, after two years and 3 jobs, my expenses still equal my income.  Well, actually, I've been having to use a credit card for emergency expenses.  And so, I decided to see where I could tighten things up a bit.  I purchased a car at a lower rate of interest than my current vehicle, saving $70/mo.  I am going back to coloring my hair at beauty school rather than at a bona-fide shop.  It takes up a chunk of my week-end to do it that way, but saves a lot of money; $70 to be exact.  I have also been pricing out car insurance.   It's been a couple of years, and so decided it's time to do it again.   The best rates I've found are saving me roughly $30/mo.  I have an insurance broker, so she is going to shop it as well for me.  I am hoping to reduce it by $50/mo.  I changed cell phone carriers and that has saved $10/mo.  Gasoline prices have lowered, giving me a break for at least a short period of time of $40/mo.  All in all, I am now up $220/mo.  Yes, these are little things and yet, they add up to some substantial savings. 

 Something I learned today from my daughter, who is very budget conscious, is that you need to review your budget monthly.  I believe that's probably true because then you can see exactly where your money is going.  In other words, you be in charge of your money instead of the money being in charge of you!  I also realize I need another source of income if I am going to build a savings account and actually pay off debt.  And so, I am starting a home-based business.  I have a friend who is helping me get started.  He says he wants to see me quit worrying about money so that I can have  peace.  God bless him!  Once again, proof  that God sends us earthly angels!

So what happened to the excitement, the dating, the glamour of being single?  This is it!  I have the occasional date but mostly, I am on a quest to make my life better; not by looking for someone else to "fix" my problems but for ME to fix my problems.   Could I go on a quest to find a rich man and land him?  Probably.  But the truth is, living my life with a sense of independence feeds my soul more than any man ever could.  I have a sense of well-being, joy, hope and believe more than ever that God has walked with me throughout this journey.  I don't always have to understand "Why?" -- rather, I just have to accept God's plan for my life without question, move forward and do what God asks; which I believe is to share my experiences with others and offer encouragement.  That's it! 

So, if you are in the midst of hardship, let me just say -- it gets better.  It does!   Life really is good. As time goes on, I realize that this journey we're on is just one big adventure.  I am enjoying it to the fullest -- yes, even the bad!  Because you know what?  You cannot have good without bad.   Be grateful.  Thank God.  Enjoy the ride.  We only get one chance at life -- make it the best!


And they that know your name will put their trust in you: for you, LORD, have not forsaken them that seek you. Psalms 9:10

This song shows that no matter who you are, we all go through difficult times.  Thank you Matthew West for sharing.
"Motions" by Matthew West
http://youtu.be/ZUg9qE_KjLg

No comments:

Post a Comment