Sunday, January 18, 2015

My Oola Journey: From Fat to Fabulous



Weight Loss Journey: Week One







Well, it's been a couple of weeks since my last post.  I promised I would keep you up-to-date with the latest on my weight loss journey and so, here it is; the good, the bad and the ugly.

Today, I worked out with a trainer.  No, I mean REALLY worked out.   Yes, I am sore.  I am sitting on my couch writing and trying to work up the energy to not only clean my kitchen but also, go soak in a hot bath.  I did have enough strength to make a protein drink and that's as far as I've gotten in the past two hours; save a phone call or two.  Perhaps when I actually take a step off the couch I will somehow engage in a momentum that will propel me toward the kitchen and then, up the stairs.  Or, I may sleep on the couch!

As far as my eating -- meh!  Yeah, I have been using less than due diligence with my eating habits.  This was finals week.  I also had an IEP meeting, 2 IEP's to write, grades to input, write lesson plans, write justifications for my observation and need I say more?  Folks, teaching is no longer just chalk to the blackboard.  It is intense.  So much, that I had a few cocktails this week -- something I never do.  On Friday, I had stayed an extra hour after work when the gradebook crashed.  Although I attempted to resuscitate it twice,  it was dead.  It was at that point that I figured God wanted me to go home.  I gave in and mentally said, "That's it!  Enough!"  And so, I had some Oola Fun and went to a friend's house for happy hour.  I'm pretty sure I scored a point or two for actually upping myself in the categories of Fun and Friends.  Fitness?  Healthy eating?  Not-so-much.

Fitness definitely took a back seat to life this week.  Not only were my eating habits sub-par, so too was my exercising. That is, until yesterday.  Yesterday I ramped it up and decided, it was time to get back to the gym.  I hadn't been in a week.  And so, I had a great workout yesterday and today.

Some may ask, "Where's the commitment you talked about a couple of weeks ago?"  Here's the thing...I am committed to losing my weight and getting in shape.  The problem is, lack of time.  Yes, I know there are 24 hours in a day so certainly, I could find the time.  However, I am tired; two jobs definitely zaps my energy.   And so, I am working on lessening personal comfort in lieu of better habits.  This will be a hard one to break.  However, it is a "must do."  Commitment is just that; doing what is hard and necessary not whatever the hell you feel like.

And so, for the next two weeks, I will be working on just that.  Breaking out of my comfort zone; quit whining and just doing it.  I am not taking any bets but if you choose to wager among yourselves, feel free.  I personally think I will break free of the strongholds that bind me. 

Although I joke, this is truly no laughing matter.  I pay $140 a month for medications which are for weight-related conditions; that is a significant amount of money!  Additionally, I am nearing the 55-year mark -- yes, sixty is within sight!  Panic is setting in...not because I am getting close to sixty but because I have seen two types of 60-year-olds; those who are active and young at heart, and those who look like they have one foot in the grave.  I personally prefer to be in the former category rather than the latter.  The gene pool in my family is not pretty.  We have longevity -- that's about it.  And so, I am determined to beat my genetics.  Not only live a long life but an active one; and look pretty darned smokin' in the process!

And so, tomorrow I will hit the gym.  Last year at this time, I was terrified to meet with a personal trainer.  Today, I just wanted to kick butt.  I did a 16, 18 and 20-second plank.  I am 1/3 of the way to my goal of a 1 minute plank.  A couple of months ago, I could only bench press 40 pounds with my legs.  Today, I was up to 70 pounds!  Baby steps. 

I expect in a couple of weeks to see progress.  Not necessarily in my size but definitely in my ability.  I am pushing past what is difficult and moving toward a happier and healthier life.  Is it hard?  Man, is it ever!  Now ask me -- Is it worth it? It better be!  I'm working my tail off to accomplish this!  I have $140 per month riding on it! 

I encourage all of you that are overweight to give up your inhibitions when you step into a gym.  Stop thinking, "I can't do this."  Instead, think about what you can do.  You can change your eating habits.  You can walk.  You can make a positive change and live a happier life.  It is the hardest thing you will ever do.  But no one ever said nothing worthwhile is easy. 

Set your goals and take small, positive steps toward them... C'mon and join me on this journey.  Write me at amazinggrace490@gmail.com and let me know how you're doing!   Let's go after our OolaLife together!  After all -- we deserve it!







No comments:

Post a Comment