Saturday, January 31, 2015

Love Eternal


 





What was God's message when He sent Jesus?  Most of it has to do with love.  Jesus  was asked,  "“Teacher, what is the most important commandment in the Law?”
37 Jesus answered:
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind. 38 This is the first and most important commandment. 39 The second most important commandment is like this one. And it is, “Love others as much as you love yourself.” 40 All the Law of Moses and the Books of the Prophets[a] are based on these two commandments." Matthew 22:36-40 (CEV)

So, what is love?  There are thousands of internet sites touting that you can find love on them. But can  you really?  Was this the kind of love Jesus was referring to?

When we read the Bible, Jesus loved the unlovable.  He ministered to the lepers.  He talked with the Samaritan woman at the well.  He allowed Mary, a prostitute, to join Him and the apostles on His journey.  He ministered to the downtrodden.  And so, I want to ask you -- who are you loving today?  Is it your spouse?  Your significant other?  Your children?   Your grandchildren?  Maybe, your best friend.  Or are you loving those that are not quite so lovable.

You see, it's easy to give love to those we are close to; relatives and friends.  Yet, what about the student with the reputation for having an emotional or conduct disorder?  What about a child with Down's Syndrome?  Or a homeless teen?  Everyone wants to think, "well, but for the grace of God..."  Yes, you're right.  But-For-The-Grace-Of-God!  God has, I'm sure, blessed you in many ways.  But what if -- just what if that less than perfect child -- were one of God's blessings?  What if that less-than-perfect child, somehow taught US a lesson?

I have now given you a glimpse into the world of special education.  You see, as special educators, we work with children with all sorts of needs.  No one can really understand the calling of a special education teacher.  I'm not even sure I understand it.  When I entered the field, I did so with the express idea that I would use it as a stepping stone to the general education classroom.  Now, I wouldn't go into general education for anything!  Why the change of heart?

I personally believe God worked a small miracle on me.  He took someone who had no understanding or background of working with children with special needs and changed my heart.  I am not unique.  There are many teachers who would go to the mat for their students.  Special education is something that sort of gets under your skin.  Once you work with these children, you realize that it doesn't matter what they are capable of doing. Your job is to bring out the best in them and help them to be successful in the classroom and out in the 'real" world.  That's it; at least, in my humble opinion. 

You see, I don't listen to what teachers tell me or look at student files ad infinitum. Every person is different and everyone reacts to a situation and teacher differently.  Every teacher is not the same,   nor are students.  As such, we need to look at each child as individuals. How can I help this individual reach their full potential? How can unlock the knowledge they have?  Because, regardless of the disability, each child deserves a chance at a full life.  They also deserve to be loved.

And so, as you look at the mom with the child who is throwing a tantrum in the store, don't be hypercritical.  That child may have autism.  Don't feel sorry for the 60 year old woman with the 25 year old daughter with Down's Syndrome, because believe me, she loves that child more than life itself.  Don't tell me I'm going to heaven because I teach these children who have a multitude of disabilities.  It is not a burden to me; rather, it is a privilege to work with these incredible young men and women.  And so, as you think about your own life and what is love, think about Jesus.  What did He do to show love?  He served others.  He reached out to those that needed a hand up.  He blessed those that others looked down upon because they were less than perfect.  I dare say, each of us is less than perfect as well.  Your disability is just not as visible.

Today, I would ask you to reach down inside yourselves and encourage someone who needs to be lifted up.  Someone who is down.   Why do you think Jesus came anyhow?  To love the unlovable -- yes, even you!

Think about your love for others and how you can be more like Christ as this song plays.  We are the unlovable.  Think about the sacrifices He made for us.  We are the thorns in His crown and the sweat on His brow.  We are the reason He came and died.  Consider that as you listen.

"You Loved Me Anyway" by the Sidewalk Prophets

http://youtu.be/T7vsTUbi5yI

No comments:

Post a Comment