Thursday, July 13, 2017

Spiritual Sickness


2 Corinthians 12:9
And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness " Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.
Today I went to lunch with some friends and we got on the subject of spiritual sickness.  It began when I confessed the anger I felt toward my ex-husband for leaving me in financial ruins.  One gal questioned why I was still angry and I said, because I am reminded each and every month of it as I pay the bills.  Fair enough.  She then asked me if my ex-husband was spiritually sound.  Was he?  Not during the period I knew him.  And so, therein lies my answer.

You see, when we are spiritually sick, it is just as if we have cancer or some other physical illness except it affects everything; decisions, relationships, beliefs, etc.  And, let's face it -- who among us is perfect?  I'm not!  If we each held a measuring stick from us to our Heavenly Father, how far short would we fall?  I dare say,  A LOT!

So what is spiritual sickness?  Spiritual sickness can manifest itself in many ways:  fear and anxiety (check), resentment, anger and blame (check), guilt, shame and remorse (check), irritability and chronic negativity (healed), addictive behaviors (check), apathy and listlessness (sometimes), physical symptoms such as headaches, stomach upsets, muscle tension and fatigue (check), inability to form healthy attachments (healed), depression (check), and soul loss by those who have suffered abuse or some sort of trauma (healed).  So, as I'm analyzing whether or not my ex has spiritual sickness, I see I too suffer from it to a great degree.  Me!  One who has an incredible amount of faith!   And yet, my faith is not enough...not yet.

And so, what do we do when we find we do indeed have some forms of spiritual sickness.  First, surrender yourself wholly and completely to God.  We are where He wants us to be and no matter what we do, at the end of the day, He is in control.  Oh, you have debt?  Yes, you can worry and stew about how many years it will take to pay it off or you can do your best and hand the rest over to Him.  After all, do we even know if we will be here tomorrow?  And how much of our joy is stolen from worry and upset?  THAT is exactly what Satan would love ...to steal our joy!  So, don't let him do it!  Hand your worries to God.

Additionally, pray -- pray that God will heal your hurts.  Turn over your life completely to Him.  He loves us more than anyone, so let His love blanket you and fill you with His peace.

Next, stay in God's word...Read the Bible daily.  If there are any inconsistencies in the way you live your life versus what God's Word says, then change the way you live.  There are no inconsistencies in His Word.  If you find you have questions, seek guidance from someone who is knowledgeable -- a pastor, Christian counselor or friend.  One who you know to have  a true understanding of God's Word.

Finally, worship God.  Go to church.  Listen to how you can apply God's Word to your life.  You can also attend a Bible study, listen to worship music or sit outside on your patio and enjoy nature.  God reveals Himself to us in the most miraculous of ways.  You just have to "seek and you will find."

So, the next time you find yourself angry at someone -- don't look to them; look to yourself. See where you are falling short.  Then turn to God and ask Him to take your shortfalls and mold you into the person he wants you to become.  He is the potter, you are the clay; in essence, you are His masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment