Saturday, July 15, 2017

Oola Goal Check Up




Picture of The Oola Bus -- some of my goals are on their VW bus.  The OolaGuys goal is to collect 1,000,000 dreams on that bus.  Changing the world with a word:  Oola


So, it is midyear since OolaPalooza 2016.  I vowed 2017 would be a great year and in many ways, it has been.  I have looked at my own "mini-surfboard" with my goals written on them several times over the last couple of weeks and realize, I need to get going on these...the final push!

My goals were the following:

Field -- mentor others in the area of finance
Faith -- mentor students to believe in themselves and achieve their goals
Finance -- add an extra $150/month toward my student loans
Friends -- look for mentors to meet up with regularly
Fitness--have a healthy BMI within 1 year and physically fit within 6 months
Family -- work toward a healthy marriage/relationship
Fun -- I didn't write anything; I think I decided I was having enough fun and added an extra fitness goal!!

So, how did I measure up so far?

Field:

I spent several months trying to put together a group for Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University.  Unfortunately, my home church was not interested.  I sort of gave up but now am pressing other places for that opportunity.  I cannot do this on my own as the kits for it need to be purchased ahead of time and I simply don't have the funds for that; I need a "backer".  However, the good news is I have been approved by Dave Ramsey's group to facilitate a class since spring.  I am still working on the logistics.  Hopefully, it will happen this fall.

Faith:
Met.  I mentored many students throughout the school year.  Of the many special education students that passed through room 203, 92% passed English 11 for the school year.  My goal was 60%.  I far surpassed my own expectations of what these students could do-- they rose and met the challenge to become the best they could be.

Finance:
This is interesting.  No, I did not add $150/month toward my student loans.  However, I found a company that is helping me sort through the financial quagmire I have been left with post-divorce.  Bottom line, it is slow and I will be debt-free in 10 years.  But considering where I started, I am happy I will be able to retire debt-free!  Additionally, my bankruptcy was discharged which removed close to $100,000 in debt.  Not the way to go for everyone but for me, it was a necessary evil.

Friends:
I have fallen short in the friends category.  Turns out, I am the mentor rather than the mentee (is there such a word?)  I have mentored teachers and students this past year but still looking for folks to help me out with regards to my goals.  I am still looking.  Volunteers?

Family:
I seem to have aced this category.  I went from "I don't ever want to get married" to "I do" in a period of 6 months.  There was a slight push...my fiance became ill and needed care.  FMLA does not allow unmarrieds to care for one another. And so, the wedding date was moved up.  Of course, the "I do" is the easy part.  It's the marriage that's the challenge!

Fitness:
Aaaah -- the bane of my existence.  My fitness goal.  Truth is, I have been exercising regularly with the help of my daughter who is a personal trainer.  It is a bit of a struggle as I do have a bad foot (for which I am having surgery later this month).  That will, sideline me about 4 weeks.  On the positive side, I am definitely stronger than I was.  My bat wings are disappearing.  With any luck, they will be gone by Halloween!   I also want to start yoga in the fall and some stress management techniques.  I truly suck at managing stress in my life (and unfortunately, it is simply a part of life).  Now for the bad news -- I weigh the same as I did six months ago.  I keep playing with the same 5 pounds.  My counselor did say that stress (again, managing it is not my strong suit) can affect weight loss.  And Lord knows, I've had my share.  However, I am hoping stress management and yoga will help me progress with this goal.

Fun:
Yeah, I'm good.  Weekly movies, dinner out, get-togethers with friends, a mini-vacay, and eloping with my honey (which frankly, was the most fun I've ever had in Vegas!)

And so, although not perfect, I am continuing to progress toward my goals.  No, I have not met them yet but am working systematically in my haphazard sort of way toward them.  I continue to seek balance and growth in the seven key areas of my life.  I watch my friends "knocking their goals outta the ballpark" while I am slow and steady.  They say, don't compare your journey to that of others.  I agree -- we all have completely different lives.  If I could change one thing, it would be to meet rather than improve in areas.  I need to work harder on THAT goal!  So, which category does that fit into?

No comments:

Post a Comment