Saturday, July 15, 2017

Friends



There are friends and then, there are friends.  What do I mean by this?  I have a variety of friends that I sort of tend to categorize.  Admit it -- I bet you do the same thing...right?

First off, I have my BFF's.  I have more than one -- each knowing me so well, but also, offering different perspectives on life.  For instance, one I have known 50 years -- a lifetime.  She makes me laugh and we pick up where we leave off every time we get together.  Then, I have another BFF who has known me since my divorce.  This person has seen me through thick and thin, and knows how much I have grown.  Both of these people are folks I can count on no matter what the situation and they are completely non-judgmental.  We are of the same generation and share similar life stories.   We love each other dearly and would walk through fire for one another.

There are also friends that you meet and remain friends throughout life.  Mostly former neighbors who, although are still important, have walked a different journey than myself.  As time goes by, we do not stay in touch as much as we used to, but when we meet up, it is as if nothing has changed over the last twenty years.  They are people you can count on and love with all your heart.  We are bonded by our children and old memories; yet continue to make new ones.

Then, I have the friends I hang with on the day-to-day.  We go out to dinners together, coffees, lunches, have parties-- whatever.  We are a pack of older folks who just love each other's company.  We are always there for each other but our relationship tends to be deep on a different level.  We are, in a sense, a family.  All of us have relocated to Vegas for various reasons and have worked together at one time or another.  We are our own little support group.  We are a variety of generations.  Our journey in this strange place called Las Vegas allows us to bond on a whole different level.

I also have my mentors; people I have met in life through social media.  They offer support on life decisions.  They may not realize the impact they have on my life but they are each incredibly important.  They have supported me throughout my divorce and watched me soar to heights I never thought attainable.  They are also bold, to some degree, as to what is helpful to growing and what is not helpful for growing.   I may not always listen to them because my journey is different from theirs; but their advice is very much valued and contemplated.  We follow each others journeys and cheer one another on as we reach our goals.

Lastly, I have a group of friends who are important on the day-to-day.  They are my work colleagues.  Although we may "just" be lunch buddies and plan lessons together, there is a certain camaraderie.  We understand each other's joys and upsets in the classroom.  We laugh and relieve stress during the day.  We reach out to one another when we have a problem at home which may affect our performance as teachers.  We are, indelibly bonded by our work lives.

Everyone has friends.  We may have one lifelong friend, or we may have several friends we have accumulated through our many years of living.  Each has a special place in our heart.  Without these people in my life, I would not be the person I am today.  We are...friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment