Tuesday, December 8, 2015

OolaPalooza 2015: Day 1

Lost In Fitness: Are SMART Goals Dumb?




Thursday night, I met up with my "partner in crime" -- a gal from Canada that I met on Twitter and in person at last year's conference.  We went out to dinner and caught up on the past year of our lives.  After a night of not so much sleep (5 hours to be exact), we sucked down some caffeine and lined up early for the conference.  Last year's conference was a first come, first served seating and my partner in crime and I did not want to be at the back again.  As it turns out, there were assigned seats and the room configuration was such that everyone had a great seat.

Day 1 consisted of going over the rules -- yes, there are rules to this conference.  They are:

1.  Be humble.
2.  Be courageous.
3.  Be free of judgement.
4.  Be authentic.
5.  Be committed.
6.  Be ready to hustle.
7.  Be Oola.  (awesome)

Next we were to reflect on how our last year went?  Top 3 highlights versus top 3 lowest moments.  What word would describe our year?  For me, it was growth.  Then, we proceeded to reflect some more and come up with goals in the 7 key areas of our life: fitness, finance, family, field, faith, friends and fun.

This first day was no small process.  It took much time and thinking about what was accomplished last year and what wasn't.  Although I made strides in many areas, as I rated how well I did, I fell quite short.  For instance, I lost weight in the area of fitness but how much do I exercise?    The truth is, I hit several goals -- perhaps 5 out of my top 7 but still have a long way to go. 

I also realized that although I have hit goals, I seem to be at a mediocre place on the high side (on a scale of 1-10, (7's) and likewise on the low side (4's).  I'd like to see myself stretching this year and taking those 7's and turning into 8's and 9's and the 4's up to 6's and 7's.

Of course, numbers aren't the only way to view one's life.  The bigger questions; Are you happy?  Are you accomplishing what you set out to do?  If you're falling short, why?  If these 7 things will make your life better, why are you missing the mark?  Is it lack of focus? Direction? Not clear enough goals?  Inner turmoil?  All these things are talked about during the conference.

There are many tears shed over the two days, particularly on the second day.  We all have baggage; the question is, how much?  And does it prevent us from reaching our full potential?  I know from a personal standpoint, I have come a long way.  My financials, fitness and field are not where I want them to be and I will be working on those goals even harder this year.  However, I hit most of my field, friends and fun goals this year.  Faith was met but not in a way I expected.  This year, that is already changing for the better.

Day 1 concluded with a reception in a penthouse that was not to be believed -- 5000 square feet, complete with a bowling alley.  Yea, it was pretty sic, as kids today would say.  We had the opportunity to meet with the speakers and talk about our past year and where we were going. 

I think probably the most amazing thing about these guys is that they not just know each and every one of us, but they know our stories.  Oola is more than about selling books; rather, it is about relationships.  Yes, we are part of the so-called "flock" but we are also a part of their lives and the lives of one another.  It is all intertwined quite nicely.  Two days of writing down goals and dreams with 9 other people at your table will tend to do that.

And so, the day ended with a trip down to Fremont Street at First Friday (my first time ever!) with a gal from Canada.  She zip-lined while I waited for her at the opposite end of the street, listening to a country-western band.  It was cold but a nice way to end a long day.  We fell into bed around 1 AM.  It was a spectacular ending to a great day!  More tomorrow as I continue with Part 2.  Until then, be blessed and know that you too, can have an Oola life!

"I'm created for greatness and a purpose.  Don't settle for ordinary -- be extraordinary."
                                                                                  ---Oolapalooza

No comments:

Post a Comment