Friday, September 5, 2014

What in the World?






Tonight I received an urgent prayer request from a a pastor.  It was quite extensive.  As I read it, I briefly remembered a fundraiser for Iraqi refugees.  I had not heard of the situation in Iraq.  I do not have television nor do I subscribe to newspapers.  It's my way of staying in my own little "bubble".  My happy place.  As I read the e-mail, I was sickened.  Could what I was reading truly be happening in the world? 

About once a day, I check in with CNN.com to see if I am missing anything.  There was nothing regarding this situation.  And so, I did a more intensive search.  And came upon the article that this pastor was referencing.  It was in a Catholic magazine.  It spoke of the beheading of Christian children in Iraq.

I personally try to avoid politics, right or left wing media and just try to remain neutral in all stories that I hear.  But this is not a story in which I can remain neutral.  It is indeed a terrible story, one of genocide and persecution.  It is, in its most basic form, evil.  I am amazed that such things exist in the world when I hear of them.  Women being raped and killed, children beheaded and their heads placed on poles in a park.  Others -- adults -- are crucified.  The pictures in the magazine are gruesome.  More importantly, they are heartbreaking.  I sit here tonight, deeply saddened by what I've seen.  And I'm also saddened by my complacency.  You see, I have been living with my head in the sand.  I jokingly say that I don't watch the news but when I hear the planes overhead, I will duck and cover.  But I cannot be complacent about this.  These are babies being killed in the name of religion.  Wrong on so many levels.  It is not just scary -- it is a warning.

The Bible says, "When he ripped off the fifth seal, I saw the souls of those killed because they had held firm in their witness to the Word of God. They were gathered under the Altar, and cried out in loud prayers, “How long, Strong God, Holy and True? How long before you step in and avenge our murders?” Then each martyr was given a white robe and told to sit back and wait until the full number of martyrs was filled from among their servant companions and friends in the faith." Revelation 6:9-11 (The Message)

You see, people tend to think that the Bible is some metaphorical book that may or may not apply to their lives as they choose to apply it.  Yet, it tells of our ancestry.  It foretells of our savior; His birth and death -- and not just that, it gives specifics.  In Isaiah 53:2-9 it says,

 "The servant grew up before God—a scrawny seedling,
    a scrubby plant in a parched field.
There was nothing attractive about him,
    nothing to cause us to take a second look.
He was looked down on and passed over,
    a man who suffered, who knew pain firsthand.
One look at him and people turned away.
    We looked down on him, thought he was scum.
But the fact is, it was our pains he carried—
    our disfigurements, all the things wrong with us.
We thought he brought it on himself,
    that God was punishing him for his own failures.
But it was our sins that did that to him,
    that ripped and tore and crushed him—our sins!
He took the punishment, and that made us whole.
    Through his bruises we get healed.
We’re all like sheep who’ve wandered off and gotten lost.
    We’ve all done our own thing, gone our own way.
And God has piled all our sins, everything we’ve done wrong,
    on him, on him.

7-9 He was beaten, he was tortured,
    but he didn’t say a word.
Like a lamb taken to be slaughtered
    and like a sheep being sheared,
    he took it all in silence.
Justice miscarried, and he was led off—
    and did anyone really know what was happening?"  (The Message)
 
And in Revelation,  it tells of the end of time. Now, I don't know or even wish to elude that we are in the end times.  But, I do know that children being killed simply by virtue of the fact that they are born into Christian families is wrong.  Killing is wrong.  We have the Old Testament, which gives us the Ten Commandments.  Again, a set of rules to guide our moral compass.  Number six states, "No murder." Exodus 20:13 (MSG)

I struggle with the pain these parents are suffering through.  If we look back in the Bible, there are many stories of children being killed.  I know that our country doesn't want to get involved in a war but can we really sit by and allow this to happen?  The best we can do individually is to pray for these families.  Pray that they are able to escape this brutal fate.  That the Lord continues to be with them and put a hedge of protection around them.  God does answer prayers.  It is true that sometimes the answer is "no."  Yet, I know we have a compassionate and just God.  One that does listen.  I would ask that the readers of this blog to join in prayer each and every day for this reign of terror to end.  That someone, would reach out to this part of the world and help.  There have been far too many genocides carried out in the name of religion.  This must stop!

I am attaching the link to the article.  It is incredibly graphic but I hope you will read it anyhow.  We know that when two or more are gathered, the Lord is with us.  Perhaps it will compel you to take action and actively pray for our Lord to intervene and protect those families. 

Heavenly Father -- you are the Alpha and the Omega.  You knew us all before we were born.   You even knew the numbers of hair on our heads.  Lord God, we come before you and lift up these families that are being persecuted in your Holy Son's name.  We ask that you put a hedge of protection around them.  Just as you led Moses to the Red Sea and helped him part it, we ask that likewise, you use your greatness to perform a miracle and watch over all who are being persecuted.  We pray for your divine intervention and put a stop to this unnecessary murder. Holy One, we know that in order to be good there is bad.  Yet, these are babies that are being killed.  Yes, they are in your hands and in heaven.  Yet, it seems incredibly unjust for them to be murdered in Jesus' name.  Father, give the families the strength they need.  Help them.  Build them up even stronger in your Word and in their faith.  We pray for Your hands to be on them and to bless them and keep them.  We ask for all of this in your precious and holy Son Jesus' name, Amen!


Link to article:

http://www.catholic.org/news/international/middle_east/story.php?id=56481






















 

No comments:

Post a Comment