Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Challenges







As we go through life, we face challenges.  Life is never perfect.  Often times, Christians become frustrated.  They think to themselves, "but I believe -- so, why is my life like this?"  God doesn't promise a perfect life, but he does promise to be there when life is not so perfect.

Take, for instance, when I divorced.  Life was extremely difficult.  The years leading up to my divorce were nearly unbearable.  Yet, I never lost hope.  Even those days when it felt like there was no hope for me, I persevered.  I clung to God's promises in the Bible.  I listened to YouTube; specifically, praise and worship songs and something called Scripture lullabies.  I prayed and when I couldn't string two thoughts together, asked Christians to pray for me.  Even as I write this, I remember that pain.  And the tears flow.  It's God's way of cleansing us -- a spiritual baptism; washing away our pain.

Even in the present, as I work -- and I mean, work hard --I don't care that I'm tired.  I catch a nap when I can and move on.  God has a way of making us feel that everything is going to be okay.  Even when our mind says, "Yes, but..."  God says, "Leave it to me."  Yes, give all your cares to Him.  He will handle the day to day.  Yes, we have to function and work through the details but He will handle the big stuff.  Give it to Him.  He knows the plan.  Allow Him to work it out for you.

When I date, I have questions.  I don't understand things and find myself wondering, "Will I ever come through this without a blemish?"  Unscathed?  Unscarred?  No, those will stay with us forever.  But our scars are what make us who we are.  I have physical scars from events in my life, whether they be happy events such as giving birth or painful events, such as surgery.  Whatever the reason, those scars serve a purpose.  They are reminders of who we are and where we've come from.  Likewise, with the scars that you can't see.  They are there for a reason. To remind us of where we've been, and how far we've come.  They are our badges of courage and strength.  They are reminders of our past; who we were and who we have become.   They are God's way of  reminding us that He has been with us.  After all, Who healed us?

Of late, I have found myself lonely.  I know God is there and yet, I long for someone physically to be here-- to share the day to day.  Yet, I know being lonely and alone is not bad.  I'm happy with my life.  So, why do I feel this void?  I'm not sure.  I have been told I need to learn how to relax.  The truth?  I'd say, yes.  I need to re-learn how to kick back and just have fun.  I have started but I am just in the beginning stages.  I know that having a man in my life does not necessarily equate with fun or lack of loneliness.   Let me tell you, there is nothing worse than being alone in a marriage.  To lie in bed next to your mate -- back-to-back-- and know that sting of rejection, night after night. There is nothing more painful than that; that, is real loneliness.

So, what is the purpose of this blog?  It's to let you know that regardless of your circumstance, to be grateful.  Thank God.  His wisdom is greater than ours.  I believe we are faced with challenges for a very real reason; that is, to glorify God.  How do we handle the challenges life throws at us?  Do we step up to the plate, face them for what they are and solve our problems?  Do we turn to God?   Or are we going through life without really being present and experiencing the journey? 

You see, I want us all to take a moment and stop.  Feel God's presence.  Know that He is with us and around us.  That He does cradle us in His arms.  When we are on our knees and broken and crying out to Him, He is there -- He is listening.  If you don't believe me, look around you during those times of crisis.  Who is with you?  Friends? Family?  Whose arms are encircling you?  They are His arms.  He created us and placed these people in our lives to lift us up when we are weak.  He sends them to help us to our feet.  When we are in the depths of darkness, look whose hand is outstretched.  There will be someone!  And if there's not, perhaps you have not made your needs known.  Talk with a friend, a family member, a trusted counselor or pastor.  They will help you through that time. 

During my struggles, I had to reach out.  I still do.  My divorce is over but life continues -- and yes, there are ups and downs as I continue on this journey. Yet, I am hopeful.  I believe.  God is with us.  He is our Light, Strength and Salvation.  He is our Father.   The One who created us and loves us the most.  He will never leave us.  Believe it.  He's there and He wants to help you.  Go to Him and open your heart.  For it's through our challenges that we grow in ways that we never dreamed possible and His glory comes shining through.

Scripture lullaby link:

http://youtu.be/Q4Af1zhUPxs



1 comment:

  1. That’s right! Your life should not stop just because you went through a divorce. Everyone surely knows the feeling of being completely separated, and that’s a great trial and tribulation to our lives. We just need to accept that it’s a part of living in the real world, so we need to be strong and optimistic. Everything has a reason, and I believe it is for the better. Thank you so much for sharing that, Lisa! I wish you all the best! :)

    Joanne Krueger @ Kurtz And Blum

    ReplyDelete