Saturday, September 27, 2014

My Oola Journey: From Fat to Fabulous





And so it begins...again!  People must be wondering, how many times can this girl "course correct"?  Let's see...with weight loss? Um, even more than I can believe.  I think if we're honest, we all have an area of our life that we struggle with -- for me, it just happens to be weight.  I took my journey into a public forum in hopes that I would be able to end this cycle of yo-yo dieting once and for all.  However, the problem is so complex -- even more than I could possibly imagine.  It is, as I said in my earlier blog, more to do with the mental aspect than the physical.  And so, I have taken some very real and necessary steps to get on track. Again!

 For instance, tonight I wrote each of my parents a letter and went out to the darkest place I could find in Vegas -- where I could see a star or two (and I don't mean celebrity) and read the letters to them.  They are not the sugar-coated letters you have read in my previous blogs but rather, the "hard" truth, as I see it.  It is my last quest toward finding peace and finally, putting the last of my past to rest.

I am also not just setting a goal, but writing down the steps necessary to reach it.  So, I have a goal of 20 pounds to lose within the next 2 months.  That is my short-term goal.  My long-term goal is to lose 50 pounds by my birthday.  That is in February.  My 1 year goal is to be at that same weight and continuing to exercise but having a much more defined shape.  My 5 year goal is to be not just as fit but also have a completely toned body.  And yes, I believe that is possible at the age of what will then be, 59 years old.

Next -- my plan to get there.  I have begun a regimen with a protein shake in the morning and at lunchtime with smaller snacks throughout the day and a dinner consisting of protein and veggies.  I plan to continue that.  I also am going to work out in the morning instead of the afternoon.  I cannot muster anymore energy, save for my second job 2 days per week.  It seems, once I get home and sit down for five minutes, I'm done for the day. Therefore, I am going to remove that OolaBlocker.  If I walk for 30 minutes before work 3 times/week, that eliminates the exercise problem.  I am also beginning an exercise program called PIYO -- a combination of pilates and yoga the other four days.  Hopefully, it will help with strength and flexibility.  That is a home DVD set.  As a result of using these as my means of exercise, I no longer need to go to the gym.  My getting up early does not require me to drive 15 minutes each way and allow for another 30 minutes of drive-time.  Nor do I need to look like a human, which I don't at that hour.  No, instead I can use that extra half hour for reading the Bible or a devotional before I start my day.  Thus, building my faith piece as well.

I think I have done a pretty good job of actually laying out my plan.  It now requires daily follow-through.  I believe that adding 20 minutes of meditation a day would probably also help with relieving stress.  I will do that after work.  I plan to meditate on a Bible verse or liturgy.  It is healthy for clearing the mind and getting closer to God.

Yes, as I read this over, I am satisfied.  It will, perhaps, need more tweaking when I get into actually doing it.  Getting out of our comfort zone is hard;  however, I am determined to do this.  And so, as an added measure of accountability, I plan to write a weekly blog on my journey.  Yes, you -- my readers --are going to keep me accountable.  Let's face it; once I am successful, there is not one person who can deny that they too can do it.  My goal, if nothing else, is to offer encouragement in this area as well.

Just as added incentive, my gentleman friend offered me a trip away for a few days if I meet my goal.  I'm down for that -- get out of the desert?   It's on, baby!  And so, Drs. Troy and Dave, you two continue to be a part of this journey.  You have inspired me to get out of my comfort zone one more time.  You have made me realize that I can do anything as long as I write down my goals and work toward them.  It doesn't matter that I read your book a year and a half ago.  The principles work each and every time you use them.  However, the key is ...  you MUST use them!    

I will check back next week!  In the meantime, may you all shoot for the moon...and if you miss, at least you'll land in the stars!  God bless you on your journey -- whatever it may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment