Monday, January 13, 2014

Who Am I?


Photo: Don't shine so others can see you. Shine so that, through you, others can see Him." C.S.Lewis

In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. ~Matt. 5:16

{Thanks Time-Warp Wife for this photo}
 


Yesterday in church, our pastor challenged us to think about who we are as Christians.  I frequently state that I know who I am in Christ -- but do I really?   I have to confess that his sermon definitely convicted me for I am a Christian; but, what does that mean in the day-to-day?

Let's face it, when you have a faith-based blog, you need to try and be the best you possibly can be -- both on and off the written page.  I definitely try to be that person.  But the truth of the matter is, I fall short each and every day of my life.   I know this about myself, but do you?   If you saw me on the street, interacting with others, would you say, this woman is a Christian?  Or would you more loudly proclaim me a hypocrite for writing one thing and at times, acting in a diametrically opposed way?  These were my thoughts that were going on through my mind throughout his sermon.

Our pastor spoke about baptism.  What a holy mystery that is, created by God Himself.  And yet, if something so integral to our faith is a Holy mystery, aren't we likewise, as His creation, a Holy mystery?  Using the Pharisees and Sadducees as an example, he cited how they thought they knew all about the Law.  We too know what Christ expects of us.  Yet, God will humble us like no other; to quote him, "like a child in awe".   Yet it is in these times of brokenness that we reach out to God and say, "Lord, heal me -- I am broken beyond measure".  The miracle of that is, He will.  He will heal us, and not just heal but make us stronger.   Have you ever broken a tooth?  A crown can be made to repair the broken enamel.  Yet, it is never quite the same.  It is still vulnerable to hard or sticky foods and can easily be popped out or broken again.   However, when God heals us, it is not just a superficial cover.  It is a forever fix.  He not only binds up our wounds but heals them in a way that makes us stronger.  It is in our brokenness that draws us to Him -- the ultimate fix; an irony that is a holy mystery indeed!

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds".  Psalm 147:3

So, who am I?  I'm a mother, a grandmother, a teacher and writer.  I am a Christian; one whose faith is strong.  I have been broken beyond belief and yet God has been there every step of the way.  He has reached down from heaven and sent people in my path to guide me and pick me up during my times of brokenness.  I believe without question in God and try my best to follow the tenets of my religion.  I try to serve as an example to others as to how to lead a life of joy, peace and yes, a person  with morals and integrity.   I reach out to others in pain and though I can't heal them, I can pray for them so that God will act according to His plan and purpose for their life.   Sometimes I fail miserably and stink at being a Christian, but I know that it is only by God's grace that I am forgiven for my shortcomings and only if I sincerely repent (turn away from and try not to do it again).  Does this make me a hypocrite by definition because I fail?  A hypocrite is one who works at pretending.  With me, you have the "real deal".  So no, I don't believe I am one. 

Last question:  Who am I?   I am a Christian.  One who stands on God's holy Word.  He is my Abba.  Without Him, I am nothing.  I am His.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."  John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment