Sunday, August 26, 2018

Obsessed

"Jewelry has the power to be this one little thing that can make you feel unique."
                                                                                                              --Jennie Kwon


Welcome to my Etsy shop --vintageblissbylisa.  It's my own little piece of heaven.  It's a vintage jewelry shop with very unique pieces of jewelry; pieces that seem to have some sort of history.

My love for jewelry came very early in life.  My dad had saved a brooch from his mother for me.  I was always told it would go to me.  Although I preferred the ring my sister was getting, as I grew older I came to appreciate the brooch.  It is filigree and diamond.  Definitely Art Deco styling and unique.  I suspect he had the same thoughts about it that I later did.

This past summer, my love for vintage was revived.  My BFF lent me a ring she had purchased...amethyst and white gold.  It is interesting looking with a cabochon stone.  Most of all, it came from her.

And so, as I have been looking to have a side business, this seems to be a perfect fit.  I love shopping for unique pieces that I hope someone will love as much as I do.  I  purchased a book on pieces that are valuable and am pricing as I think they should be priced.  I'm not sure about my pricing but trying to keep most pieces at $200 or less.  The reason being, I don't want these pieces to be unreachable to my customers.

I have to say, at present, my shop is not over-the-top successful.  However, I also think that word is not out about it.  So, I decided to take to a little self-promoting by paying for advertising as well as writing this blog.

When I look at jewelry, I feel happy.  I especially love pieces from the 1950's and before...they remind me of jewelry my mother and her friends wore and somehow, that makes me feel very comfortable.  I also have very old pieces, such as a flip ring that is cameo on one side and a red stone on the other -- a versatile two-in-one piece of jewelry.   I have put some watches on the site -- high end designer pieces.  Classic and priced to sell.  This week-end, I received a mourning ring/pin.  It is very macabre and one of the most unique pieces of jewelry I've ever seen.  Apparently, these were worn in the 1940's and before if you lost a loved one.  This one came with a picture in it but you could change it out for a picture of your loved one...or not.

Some things that many people don't know...during WWII, high end metals were hard to find, and so many pieces were made of a metal called palladium.  It is a cousin to platinum.  Additionally, Coro duette brooches are extremely valuable.  Coro jewelry company patented the design in 1931.  Their gold looking costume pieces are brushed with gold.  The pieces can be worn as a large brooch or taken apart into two smaller pins.  Once polyester became en vogue, so the duette clips went away, because they had the potential to harm the fabric.  Anything stamped Coro is considered high-end costume jewelry.

Clip earrings were very much the fashion during the 30's and 40's.  I guess people didn't pierce their ears back then.  Sometimes, I just like how pieces look.  For instance, I have an acorn brooch and clip earring set -- in autumn colors of garnet and amethyst.  It caught my eye simply because it reminded me of fall and living in the desert southwest, I found the pieces very pleasing to the eye.

The bottom line is, if you are looking for some amazing vintage jewelry, check out my shop.  If you love history, jewelry and a unique fashion find, I have it.


No comments:

Post a Comment