Sunday, June 4, 2017

The Return





May 12th changed my life.  It is the day my fiance got ill and had to be hospitalized for seizures.  Released the next day, he was taken back to the hospital on May 14th.  Kept another two days and released the 16th.  After his last hospitalization and a trip to the doctor, it became apparent that a medical leave was in both of our futures.  And so, four weeks before the end of the school year, we both applied for FMLA.

It was granted; a blessing and a curse.  A blessing because there are very few resources for people in our situation unless you want to place your loved one in a nursing home or adult daycare (no and no).  And although I could have probably put him in the daycare, it was totally not for him.  He is waaaay too vital for such a drastic step.  It was pricey, too.  Either way, home or daycare, I would lose a week's pay.  And although I was taking care of my (now) husband, I felt bad.

 I felt like I had let my students down.  I was gone without a word.  I also felt like I had let down my co-teacher.  I knew he was grading 160+ papers for each assignent and posting grades for our students to see, pre-finals.  And my department?  I still had a gazillion things to do to wind up the year.  I was asked to do one thing -- progress reports from home for my IEP students -- not difficult; unfortunately, my password had died and I was unable to change it from home.  I racked my brain and decided to e-mail all the teachers at my school to see if they knew anyone who could stay with my husband and could drive.  Fortunately, one came through.  And so, although I am paying for someone to stay with him, I am still bringing home money, which is very much needed at this point.

And so, on Thursday, I returned to work.  My students were stunned..."Where were you?" was the reigning question.  I gave them the short version, "I ran away." to the longer version, "My husband was very sick and I needed to take care of him."  So many students told me how much they missed me (and I missed them, too).  On Friday, since it is different blocks, the same questions.  Kids I never would have thought  missed me expressed that they did!  And during 6th period, the period that had been the bane of my existence?  Applause for my return.  What do you say to that? There are no.words.

It felt incredibly good to return.  Next week are final exams and there will be much grading, posting to the grade book, filing and other things to be completed by Thursday's end.  Friday is checkout and I need to have signatures on my checkout card and turn in keys.  Fortunately, I am staying in my room next year, so no packing is needed.

This year has flown.  It has been a pleasure to work with my students -- most of the time!  I can't wait until they are seniors, so I can attend their graduation.   I am so proud of the strides they have made this year.  They are writing like it's no one's business, learned a LOT about grammar, improved their reading and English language skills, and are one year closer to holding that diploma in their hand.  As for my IEP kiddos, they will move on to a new teacher of record and I will meet a new group of twenty-plus kids...most who will be in English 11 with me.

As I think about summer (it is a month shorter this year), I am completely overwhelmed by reminding myself of what lies ahead in the next school year.  I am thrilled to be back and happy that my husband is doing well these last few days of school.  I am thankful for the opportunity to serve these young adults and help them get one step closer to their diploma.  Most of all, I am thankful for having a job I love.   Have a great summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment