Saturday, March 25, 2017

Room 203

Image result for special needs children

I hear it all the time...Special educator?  You must be a saint!  Not a saint...just someone who loves kids,  understands that some learn differently than others and am committed to help them succeed.

I began the year at my new high school with trepidation.  My last year in high school was not a great one.  However, this high school was different; different administration who believes that ALL children can reach the bar we set, a mix of different cultures, and a whole different vibe.  I was excited to begin the year.

From day one, being in this school has truly been a lesson for me.  Truth is, many of our students come from single parent homes, live in poverty (if their standard of living is THAT high), and have little in the way of role models from what I can see.  We are a Title 1 school; every child gets a free breakfast.  There are lovable and not so lovable students.  Some kids are juniors and have as few as four credits to their name out of the twenty-two and a half they need to graduate.  I sometimes wonder why they are in school?  Briefly.  And then I get to the task of doing what I do best...teaching.

Does this mean that we will let a student fail?  Not if we can help it.  Do we send them to administration for every single infraction?  Absolutely not!  Truth is, in my humble opinion, a child having a suspension merely results in a child being out of the classroom and frankly, I think we owe more to our students than that...and so, at times we have to take a deep breath and find that patience for the -nth time that day.  However, if it's a choice between that and non-learning, I choose patience every.single.time.

I'm in a co-taught classroom, which means that about 1/3 of our 35 or more students have an Individual Education Plan (IEP).  I am responsible for knowing what accommodations and modifications are for each and every student, which "level the playing field" for these kids.  I also need to know the "in's" and 'outs" of their behavior plan...if they have one.  Now, even though I am technically there for the students with IEP's, it does not mean that I can't help any other student that needs help.  For instance, I use Google translate for turning questions from English to Spanish.  I also help with grading and have a personal caseload of 22 students, down from 27 at the beginning of the year.

I have been a special educator for 8 years now and I have to say, this is one of the best gigs I have had to date.  The students are tough...no doubt about it.  But, I have always loved a challenge.  I have managed to get 98% or so of the students on board with learning.

A few weeks ago, I had a "come to Jesus" meeting with a student of mine.  I said, "Look -- you have X number of credits to your name.  You do have until the age of 21 to graduate but do you really want to be 21 when you do?"  Since that day, he shaped up.  He turned his act around. After failing first semester, he has a "C" in our class for this quarter.  What's the secret?  There isn't one other than the fact that I cared enough to ask the tough question...what do you want to do with your life?

I must confess, I am thankful every day of my life that my children are grown.  Today's society is not conducive to raising children.  The Internet seems to be doing that job, and it's not doing a very good one.  On the other hand, these are just kids.  They need stability and consistency -- something many of them lack in their day-to-day.  And so, I hope that my teaching style provides that; most students seem to like it.

And so, while I am in bed by 6:30 on most school nights and asleep by 8:30, I still love my job.  I wouldn't trade it for anything.  These kids keep me young!  It is the end of third quarter and 81% of our kids have passed.  Pretty good odds for Vegas!  And so, I go to bed happy.  Proud of the work our students have accomplished.  I am exhausted and relieved at the same time!  I will sleep well knowing that the teachers in room 203 have done their job.





No comments:

Post a Comment