Saturday, March 25, 2017

1 Corinthians 13: 4-7

Related image

I did it!  I said, "Yes to the Dress!"  Inspired by the novel "The Great Gatsby" which we just finished reading at school, I have gone for a 1920's look.  It is not white but charcoal gray with sparkle.  No mother-of-the-bride look either.  It is the perfect gown for my size and shape.

Unlike the brides on "Say Yes to the Dress", I neither took an entourage nor put a hefty price tag on my budget.  I didn't cry either.  No, this bride bought off the rack for $149.00 -- less than half of what my parents paid for my dress some 30+ years ago. 

You see, this is not my first rodeo -- and it is more like the fourth rodeo for my fiance.  This is, in fact, wedding on a budget....MAJOR budget.  We didn't want justice of the peace but we didn't want an over-the-top wedding either.

Planned for approximately 30 guests, we will have a bona-fide reception for the folks attending.  We "shopped" venues and I did my research.  I streamlined my search.   Anything over $5,000 was immediately scratched.  I also did not want anything that we had to plan ourselves, due to time constraints.  We, in fact, went with a place where it is a one-stop shopping type of deal -- officiant, flowers, food, photography (unlimited), open bar and DJ for a very reasonable price.  It is beautiful (aside from the strip mall it is in) and has an amazing garden out back which will make for great pictures.  The cake is already ordered and I am debating on the flowers.

I am excited to be planning this...it is so different from the first time around.  That was pretty much planned by my parents -- and had approximately 250 people in attendance; their friends, family and acquaintances to whom they owed a social invitation.  This wedding is planned by the two of us for the people who mean the most to us...family and close friends.  No gifts wanted or needed, thank you very much.  Our gift is the gathering of the ones we love most of all.

And so, spring break will be spent sending out invitations, buying shoes, and measuring for alterations.  For the big day, I plan to have my hair re-styled (it is growing out now and a total mess), get my make-up professionally done and yes, even add some eyelash extensions.  I also hope to have my planned 20 - 30 pounds off by June.  I want to look amazing for the man who has stood by my side and less than perfect self for the last two years.

We have both waited patiently for this moment.  It is getting close.  My heart pounds anxiously at the very thought of walking down that aisle.  However, I know that this is who I want to spend my life with...it has been a long time in coming.  As he likes to say, "our life is a series of small adventures." Whether dinner out or getting married...I love this man and can't wait to say, "I do."  For better or worse, we about to embark on the biggest adventure of our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment