Sunday, March 5, 2017

Lessons Learned from "The Shack"

Image result for the shack

Yesterday, I took my fiance to see "The Shack".  I had not finished the book because of a move and it was tossed in a box, never to be found.  When I told my fiance that this was a "must see" movie for me, he balked.   His movie pick was "The Great Wall" with Matt Damon.  But, for the sanctity of the greater good (us), he deferred to my pick.  After he picked up the tickets in the morning for an afternoon show, he laughingly said how we got back row seats (primo).  "We'll see.", I said.

When we got there, the theater was about half full.  "Look... We aren't the only ones here.", I told him.  As the theater darkened, I must confess, I was filled with anticipation as I had never finished the book and didn't really know the story-line.

Initially, the movie was kind of so-so.  I was not immediately drawn in...and then, it happened.  I was hooked!  I spent most of the movie crying.  It reminded me so much of my past.  It was convicting.  There were questions asked in the movie that I had asked so many times in my own life.  Never leaving my own faith behind, but always wondering, "God, why is this happening to me?"

And then, towards the end, it asks...forgiveness.  I have done this so many times in my own life.  Not even wanting to do it sometimes but doing it anyhow.  It is, as I imagined it.  Hard to do but just keep doing it.  Eventually, it will come.  And likewise, so did my crying.

I think it is safe to say, I cried through most of the movie.  I kept having flashes back to my own life...my marriage and divorce.  The wounds. The pain. The scars.  Sound familiar?  You see, we all have our crosses to bear.  We are to pick them up and follow Christ.

This is a good reminder of what God expects from us.  Forgiveness.  Love others.  Trust Him.  Have faith. Be open to the Holy Spirit and listen to "that"voice. God sees our tears.  He hears our prayers.  He answers them...just not in way that we expect.

 And so, this is not just another "run-of-the-mill" faith-based movie.  It is a movie that touches the very heart and spirit.  I found it captivating.  It will make you cry...rivers... so bring lots of Kleenex.  As for my fiance?  If tears measured the worth of a movie, he would have rated it 5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment