Saturday, March 10, 2018

The Wedding Part 2

Last summer, I had the perfect wedding planned.  Gatsby-themed, it was indeed, the wedding of my dreams.  And then disaster struck.  My then-fiance became ill and was diagnosed with a seizure disorder.  Due to the Family Medical Leave Act and four days remaining on my personal sick leave, something had to be done.  I spoke with his doctor who said, "Get married quick!"   I followed the doctor's "orders" and married my now husband.  We cancelled the dream wedding in lieu of one in Las Vegas City Hall; a far cry from what I was thinking but I still cried when we said our vows and it had its own charm ...sort of.

As my husband became better, we talked about whether or not to do something with this wedding that was paid for...we either lose the deposit or have one helluva vow renewal ceremony.  We opted for the latter.  Although only one year in, I think the struggles we have been through in the last year merit a marker.  And so, let the vow renewal commence.

Gone are the dreams of Gatsby.  My husband requested I wear a long dress.  I think I went overboard as I have ordered a silver ball gown.  Sweetheart neckline which looks amazing on my bustline.  However, as I look at the pictures I took, I think, is this merely living out my fantasy of going to prom since I never did?  I'm not sure.  He, in the meantime, says I will find the right dress when the time is right.  It is also a lesson in not going dress shopping after having a couple of glasses of wine. 

The colors will be similar.  Silver and black instead of charcoal and black unless I change my dress, which I might.   I am leaning toward red.   The cake is definitely different.  Gone is the amazing looking cake with black scrollwork and real red roses on top, this one will be plain.  White scroll on white icing with white roses.  Again, unless I go with the red.  If it sounds like I haven't quite made up my mind, you would be correct. 

Previously, I planned appetizers, drinks and dancing.  This may stay the same, depending on the number of people who can come.  I may stretch the budget a little and go for an all-out buffet and an extra hour of socializing.  All of us teachers report to work the next morning, so it will not be a late night.  May, I found out, is a particularly popular month for weddings.  Our real wedding date is May 19.  Last year, all of my children, best friend and sister's family were attending but it was scheduled for June 10.  This year, I am pretty certain they can't come.  It is a Sunday afternoon, and I seriously doubt folks, even close relatives, want to pay for airfare for a vow renewal unless it's like your 50th.  We are doing this on the May 20th to save $1000, a substantial sum which will go toward our honeymoon.

Our honeymoon destination last year was Hawaii.  Unfortunately, the doctors did not want my husband to go on a long flight; they feared a seizure which presents itself as someone who is having a serious meltdown.  Instead, we went to Coronado Island, California (driving distance) for three days.  This year, we are spending two weeks there.   Although not Hawaii, it holds many special memories for us and we are taking time to relax...something we were unable to do much of last summer.

And so, the plans continue.  The invitations are here, my husband and I are losing weight to fit into our clothes, and we are moving forward.  Wedding or vow renewal, what does it matter?  What matters is a gathering of friends, loved ones and saying, "I do" all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment