Sunday, July 19, 2015

My Oola Journey: From Fat to Fabulous





This Tuesday is the one month mark for my weight loss journey.  I am down 12 pounds and
10 1/2 inches.  It is not the scale victories that are making the difference but rather how I feel; in control and healthy.  More importantly, are the non-scale victories such as sitting next to a bowl of popcorn all night and not eating it, fitting into a pair of pants that I have not worn for 2 years or shirts that are much looser.

Looking at me, one would probably not notice that I have lost weight.  It takes a good 20-30 pounds before anyone ever notices I've lost weight.  I'm okay with that; in fact, I'm okay with a lot of things like the time frame of my weight loss...why?  Because I am committed.  Not interested or motivated or dreaming of losing weight but committed. 

Losing 12 pounds in a month may sound like -- "Wow!  That was fast!  Must be easy!"  Yes, it is a relatively short period of time; however, it is not easy.  School lunches are starting to look good to me.  Yet, I know if I can get through that moment in time when my body craves a Bosco cheese stick or sliders, which is neither healthy nor even good -- then, I will be ok.  And so, some days it's just an hour by hour thing.  I drink my water and focus on something else; the kids, the conversation, my thoughts of "I can't wait to get home so I can make my 'healthy' Frappuccino!,"  or
"Oolapalooza is just 5 short months away!," or even, "You are gonna look fabulous by the start of the school year!"  I must confess, the last one is what keeps me going, as I have a goal of 20 pounds down by the end of August so that I can fit into all of my clothes in my closet!

However, the truth be told, those are all pretty superficial reasons for losing weight.  The Bible gives us a much clearer idea of what God expects.   We are the temple for the Holy Spirit.  In other words, once you become a believer in Christ, the Holy Spirit resides in you.  A temple is something holy and pure and putting something less than healthy in this treasured vessel just doesn't seem right.

Corinthians 6:19-20 Another verse that speaks to our eating habits in the Bible is
1 Corinthians 10:31.  As Christians, shouldn't we want to glorify God in everything we do?  Even something that seems as simple as eating and drinking.  After all, God wants us to be our best -- so we can serve and glorify Him. 
                      Corinthians 10:31

 I am committed to losing my weight, not just because I want to look better but in order to become the person God created me to be; a vessel that can be filled up and used to glorify Him.  I don't believe I can fulfill His plans for me unless I am 100% healthy and if that means passing on highly processed food in order to lead a  more sacrificial life, then so be it. 

I have a small army of people who are cheering me on -- and in fact, I believe in this program so much that I have decided to become a health coach.  Yes, a little sideline activity and paying it forward.  It also helps me with accountability.  After all, how can I help others if I am not willing to put forth the effort myself?  And yes, I am doing this with the help of Christ.
20can%20do%20all%20things%20through%20Christ.jpg


**For those of you that are interested in getting more information on my eating plan, e-mail me at lisak58@hotmail.com or  send a message via Twitter at LisaLehr1. 
 I would love to be your health coach and get healthy right alongside you.  Dream...Commit...Do!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment