Sunday, May 13, 2018

Happy Mother's Day

2018.  How things have changed since I was a child.  Internet, cell phones, and living somewhere I couldn't even conceive of as a child.  But what's changed most of all, is Mother's Day.

Growing up, we made breakfast in bed for my mom.  I'm not sure whether or not it was particularly good, but she seemed to like it.  We brought home a flower from Temple  Israel- usually a single marigold in a plain pot.  And we gave her small presents that either we made or bought.  Some drugstore cologne -- Jean Nate and Emeraude were our favorites for gifting.

Fast forward to the days of our marriages.  We celebrated Mother's Day with my mom at her condominium.  We gave her more elaborate gifts and she was surrounded by her children and grandchildren.  It was a different time but definitely filled with lots of love.  We had dinner together and enjoyed time as a family.

In 2007, life changed forever.  My mom passed away.  Our matriarch was gone.  She was the glue that held everyone together.  When she passed away, things changed even more.  In 2009, our second daughter got married and stayed in Texas.  I moved to Las Vegas with our two youngest children to join my then-husband.  Mother's Days were never quite the same.

Eleven years later, I celebrated Mother's Day with my youngest daughter and husband.  We had a fabulous dinner out last night.  Although we live in Las Vegas, my forgetting that Mother's Day was on the 13th, prompted me to make reservations for the night before--places that took reservations were booked until 8:30 PM.  And no, I refused to wait in a line for brunch.  Apparently, I wasn't the only one who flaked...many mothers were at dinner last night with their kids.

  My daughter is coming over today and my husband and I are going swimming.  It is a far cry from the large family gatherings we once knew.  It is a different kind of Mother's Day.  Gentle and warm, yet missing the other members of the family -- my three other children and my sister and her family.  I feel an emptiness in my soul.

Although last night was a wonderful evening, I miss my children and grandchildren.  My mom used to frequently say, "I wish my kids were little again."  I totally "get it" now.  Although we all love each other deeply, the distance make my heart just a little heavier today. 

Yet, I know I am loved -- just as they know they are loved.  We are a family and would be at each other's side in a heartbeat, if the need ever arose.  For now, I sit on my patio, enjoying coffee with my husband.  It is a beautiful day and my heart is filled with gratitude.  Grateful for my children and grandchildren.  Grateful for my husband.  Grateful for a beautiful day.  But most of all, grateful to God for allowing me to see the blessings in my life.

Happy Mother's Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment