Saturday, October 7, 2017

#PrayforLasVegas


Genesis 50:20  "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives."


I woke up Monday morning to a plethora of Instagram and Facebook posts that said "Pray for Las Vegas."  I immediately turned on the news to find out the devastation that had occurred on the Strip.  And then, I was expected to go to work and carry on with strength.  Several people I know had friends and family who had died or were taken to area hospitals for treatment.  There are no words to express what I am feeling for Sunday's shooting in Las Vegas.   Shock.  Disbelief.  Sadness.

What do you say to students who spend their first 80 minutes of the day in utter silence as you yourself try to comprehend the events of the night before?  During our last period, one of our students asked about the events.  And so, the dialogue began.  I listened as my co-teacher rattled off what the news reports had said.  All I could think about was, there is always light in the darkness.  And so, as the conversation began waning 45 minutes later, I said it.  I made the faith move.  I said, "In the darkness, there is always light.  Look for that...look at the first-responders who helped get those people out of the area...the EMT's, the doctors and nurses, police officers, people who helped others get out..." I could barely get the words out.  One of our students began crying.  Her aunt had died in the attack.  What I wanted to say is, "God is there...God is in the midst.  Know that He is with those who need comfort." And yet, we are in a school setting.  We can't say what we'd like.  Separation of church and state, don'tcha know?  And so, we dance around the whole idea that there is a God and He is in control.

The next day, after watching a few news channels, I was even more devastated.  I didn't know anyone personally who was injured but knew people who had lost family members or have them in the hospital recovering.  Grief and sadness set in.  The kids seemed to be recovering but I was just coming out of the shock of that first day.  I continued to teach, although the day seemed even longer.  Talk was no longer about the events of Sunday evening.  Somehow, the tone had shifted -- just like the literature we study.

It is now nearly a week later.  We are learning more about the events of that day;  the pictures of the victims are being released, news about the shooter and his girlfriend; all juxtaposed with the news stories of the day.  It is beginning to take a back seat to bigger news.

And then, prayer vigils by local churches.  Yesterday, I got a flyer in my school mailbox.  Donations are being sought by our student council and other school groups for the victims of the hurricanes as well as Vegas.  Water, batteries, diapers, antibiotic ointment...a list that is somewhat conservative but filled with life-giving resources.  My heart is filled.  Where is God in the midst of this and other tragedies?  He is in the hearts of mankind.  You see, there IS light in the darkness.  Anyone can be that light -- they just need to think...what can I do?  Then, what can WE do?  How can WE help?  Whether it's donating items or donating blood .... it is about spreading God's love.  Showing we care.  Kindness.  Hope.  Encouragement.  Love.  We are the body of Christ...the hands, the feet, the eyes, the ears, the mouth....As followers, we are called to serve.

And so, today I am able to write.  To verbalize what I have been feeling.  Tragic, yes.  But if we work as a community, we will see the light in the darkness.  God is in the midst.  He always is.

Mandisa "Stronger"
https://youtu.be/emgv-VRtMEU


Danny Gokey "Hope in Front of Me"
https://youtu.be/O5GFiDdGGGM






No comments:

Post a Comment