Sunday, October 9, 2016

The Empty Nest

Image result for empty nest

Yesterday it hit me hard...my kids are grown.  Moving back to my hometown will not change anything.  The fact is, my children have their own lives.  I have done a good job as a mom.  They are independent.  Yet, I am sad.  I don't see them often enough.  Even if I lived closer, I doubt I would see them more than once a month.  And so, that is my reality.

I know in my heart of hearts, they are happy and healthy.  I can't ask for more than that!  However, it is hard.  I miss them.  I miss my grandchildren.  I live too far to drive a couple of hours.  I am a flight away and it requires "real" planning to get there...saving money for the flight and making sure our schedules are cohesive.

It is hard to realize that I need to move forward with my own life.  This is my time to enjoy.  No responsibilities, save my job.  That's it.  I am not in school, no second jobs, no babysitting duties....life is good.  Yet, there is an emptiness inside of me.

And so, I am looking for ways to keep myself busy.  I am hoping for more travel, possibly a hobby or just finding a way to hang out with other women my age.  I may go back to school and get an administrator's degree.  The world is my oyster.

And so, although I miss my children far more than they miss me, I also realize that my role as a mother has changed.  It has gone from taking care and nurturing them to being supportive in their decisions and offer advice, IF they ask.  I also get the pleasure of spoiling my grandkids when I visit them.  Feeling those little arms around my neck fills me with love that I can't even describe.

I continue to work to find my place in this world.  I hope that I can make it a better place.  Perhaps my writings will one day give my grandkids a better insight as to who I am and my belief system.  This is one of the greatest times in a parent's life.  It is also one of the hardest.  I know I need to learn how to savor it.

No comments:

Post a Comment