Friday, April 10, 2015

It's All in How you See It


A user's photo.



This morning was not great. I've had a rough week and frankly, was feeling quite overwhelmed.  So, I did what I do when I am feeling terrible and confided in a friend.  My friend told me this: "It's early.  You will find something very special today.  Don't look with your head, look with your heart.  God is in the details."

I don't know about you, but in my world, those are some pretty powerful words.  I kept them close to my heart and with that, went to work.  I kept my eyes open all day.  I must confess, about halfway through the day, I figured my friend was just saying something nice -- something to appease me and help me get through the day.  I figured he probably says the same thing to his kids when they're upset.  But truthfully, it wasn't a bad strategy...It got me through my day!  Nothing particularly outstanding happened; however, it was the anticipation that something might happen that kept me engaged.  I felt like I was on a scavenger hunt of sorts as I watched and looked for something special to jump out at me.

When I got home from work, I sent my friend a note and thanked him for his kindness.  After all, his words offered some powerful encouragement.  And they helped me at a time when I couldn't really help myself.

At the time I wrote him, my day was only about 2/3 over.  I still had my tutoring job.  And so again, with a bit of anticipation, I drove to work.  I looked at the horizon.  Would I see something there?  The mountains were a beautiful backdrop, but basically, the same as any other day.  As I got to the building where I tutor, I looked out at Lake Mead.  Nothing.  I went inside to work; somewhat disappointed but not terribly surprised.

The first hour passed quickly.  The kids that were there needed help with math, science and English.  There was a bit of a lull as the tutors waited for the second group to arrive.  Catching our breaths, we talked among ourselves about our spring break.  As we did, two familiar faces -- brothers -- arrived.  In March, they were new to the center. It was their first day when I discovered the younger boy, who was in eighth grade, couldn't read.  I was shocked.  After all, how does a child get that far in school without a teacher noticing or bringing him along further?  He was reading at a pre-K level.  That day, I told him if he worked hard, I could get him reading by May.   A bold promise, but I felt fairly confident he would certainly be reading better than he was at the time.  We were both eager to begin.

 I worked on several reading strategies to figure out his starting point.  He was able to demonstrate he knew letter sounds...definitely a good sign!  I gave him a Dolch sight word list and assigned him "homework"; something we never do in tutoring.  He was to learn a column of words each week.  We would practice the words when he came to tutoring.   This past Tuesday,  I was out because I was sick; however, today I heard him read for the first time in about two weeks.  He was reading at a first grade level; not struggling, but rather fluently!!  I was not just shocked but incredibly proud of the work he had done.  He was reading!  Not just that -- he was playing sight word BINGO on the computer.  Fun, but no easy task.  The words were said aloud and he had very little time to locate them on the card.  However, he scored 80% or higher on all of his games.

My eyes brimmed with tears as I told him how proud I was of him.  I also shared with him that a friend told me something very special would happen today -- and that, his reading was it!  He had a big smile on his face when I shared that with him! 

And so, as I prepare to leave my second job at the end of this school year, I know that I have helped a young man gain a sense of worth and self-esteem.  I'm certain his reading will continue to improve.  He not only has the desire to learn but the motivation.  God also put me in his path so that I could give him the tools he needed to be successful.  To this day, I'm not certain how he got to eighth grade without knowing how to read.  To me, it's unthinkable!  As special educators we are busy -- but never THAT busy as to help a child who is that far behind!  However, in all fairness, I don't know his story.  There is a reason he is in a therapeutic center.  He is getting the care he deserves now.

My only hope is that after I leave the center, someone will continue to work with him.  I hope as he grows older, that his success continues.  Maybe -- just maybe-- he will remember me; and have a big smile on his face when he does.  These are the moments that teachers live for -- seeing a child begin to reach their potential!

As for the positive words I heard this morning?  They gave me the expectation that something very special would happen today...and it did!  A prayer of sorts that God answered.

So what did the teacher learn?  First, I learned not to doubt God, as He puts some pretty amazing people in your path each and every day.  Look at my incredible friend; one who took time from his day to teach this teacher something.  His lesson?  Positivity breeds positivity.  You never know what crazy amazing things God has in store for you...a lesson we all need to learn!

"God's Great Dance Floor" by Chris Tomlin
https://youtu.be/lX5139rmgGw

No comments:

Post a Comment