Friday, November 29, 2013

My Oola Journey: Faith


 
 I get asked about Oola a lot.   Being a Christian, people assume that it cannot be compatible with the tenets of my faith.    It does have the sort of name that makes one wonder?  Yet, it is all about being able to balance seven areas in your life and when they are in balance – life doesn't get much more AWESOME than that!  These areas are faith, family, field, finance, fitness, friends and fun. Most people assume they are doing that; a misconception, in my opinion.  First, in order to set out a life plan, which is a priority in Oola, one needs to actually have a plan.  This involves setting goals and working to attain those goals.  This does not mean that one cannot have belief in God or that we are in control of our own lives.  God is not random and serendipitous.  He has a plan and purpose for our life.  Remember, Jeremiah 29:11 states, “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”   We do, however, have free will.  We also need to make sure that our will is in tune with God’s.  How does this happen with Oola?

With Oola, one has one area of their life which dominates over all other areas; a hub, as in what would find in the center of a wheel.  A hub is key to balance.  My hub is faith.  I cannot always control the circumstances in my life, yet I can control how I react to my circumstances.  I need to be grateful for all circumstances that God places me in, as they help me to grow and mature as a Christian.  “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.  Likewise, in Oola, one rejoices in the journey, because you continue to grow and not be static.  I dare say, if I was the same at 53 years old as I was at 33, I’d be a pretty boring and never developed any wisdom beyond what I learned by the age of 33; which wasn’t much.

I have gone through a pretty rough year.  Divorcing after 31 years is no small feat.  Even more difficult is learning how to be thankful in the circumstances I found myself in.  I was bankrupted not only financially but emotionally.  Yet, I still believed God was in the midst.  Oola did not take away from that fact.  All of us on our Oola journey are continually trying to find our place in this world; what can we do to make it better?  How can we give unselfishly instead of take?  What is our purpose?  What does God want for our lives? 

I spend a lot of time with God.  I read the Bible, pray, and listen to music that I believe moves me closer to Him.  The Holy Spirit directs my path.  Jesus is my Savior.   God is the center of my universe.  He is my hub.  And if Oola takes me to a place of greater peace and closer to God, then I choose to embrace it.  I encourage you to look at your own life and see if you are living the Oola life.  Where will you be fifteen years from now?  My plans are drawn up; are yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment