Saturday, November 23, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving


Today it’s raining in the Las Vegas desert.  It’s been raining for the past three days.  It is a sign that the season is changing; we are coming into colder weather.  More importantly, it is a reminder that the holidays are just around the corner.

November is traditionally a time of anticipation as we all prepare for Thanksgiving, Advent and Christmas.  However, today I wanted to take a moment and reflect on the last year of my life.   It has been a season of changes; a journey of sorts.

Last Thanksgiving, the entire family got together at my daughter’s house.  It was incredibly joyful on many levels.  It was also painful for I had a secret that no one knew – my marriage was over.  It is hard to be joyful in such circumstances, yet God tells us to rejoice.  1 Thessalonians 5:16-18  “Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”   

I enjoyed those few days together but it was also bittersweet.  It had been the first time we had been together in four years and I knew in my heart, it would be our last family gathering for a good long while.  I could not tell anyone as I did not want to spoil the happiness, laughter and love that was felt in my daughter’s house over those four days.

Last year, our oldest daughter was pregnant, our youngest daughter had recently had a miscarriage, our oldest son was “finding himself” and our youngest son was a senior in high school.    We had two grandchildren, ages 2 and 4 who bring new meaning to the word mischievous, and can make me laugh on my darkest days! 

This year, we have not one, but two new grandchildren we welcomed into the family.  Our youngest daughter conceived and carried her baby to full-term.  Two beautiful blessings – each a stark contrast to the other; one blonde and blue-eyed and the other dark hair and brown eyes.  Both are incredibly joyful babies and bring a smile to my heart.  Oh and we have another grandchild on the way.  Yes, our oldest daughter is expecting baby #4; another Godsend.

Our oldest son is now working and has learned what it means to be responsible.  He still lives at home but contributes financially and enjoys his work and “playtime” at the martial arts studio.  Our youngest son has since marched with the U.S. Army All-American band, travelled with Drum Corps International and is in college, studying music. 

As for me, I divorced my husband.  I have a new life.  I am stronger than I ever imagined.  I look at my life as one big journey; a faith journey.    I have begun writing, which is something I have always dreamed of doing.  It is cathartic and allows me to process my life experiences. 

This journey has had its highs and lows.  I have been on my knees more times than I care to count.  And yet, God has brought me through each and every time with the help of people I call my “angels.”  These are the folks who listen to me, care for me and have pulled me out of the depths of despair.  They have gently and lovingly placed me on solid ground when I felt my knees begin to buckle or I trip over my own missteps.  Most importantly, I know God placed each one there for His plan and purpose. 

I am so grateful for this past year.  I miss being together as a family and yet, as we begin a season of new traditions I know that this is not an ending but rather, a new beginning.  We are starting our own traditions built on a foundation of the love God intended for each and every one of us.

Go ahead – reflect on your year.  Good, bad, or otherwise, thank God for His hand in your life; for He has made it so. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment