Thursday, October 8, 2015

My Oola Journey: From Fat to Fabulous





It is the beginning of the 4th month on my weight loss plan and I am now down 25 pounds and two clothing sizes. I stalled for about a month because I convinced myself I could go out on the week-end and enjoy Happy Hour...wrong!  Although I did not gain any weight, I plateaued for that month.  I finally decided that I could have fun AND lose weight!  Because, guess what?  FUN DOES NOT HAVE TO REVOLVE AROUND FOOD!!!  Talk about a revelation!  Folks, this has been a long time coming.  I may even shed a tear or two...nope, just kidding!

This week-end, I went to the movies.  Yes, being a senior has finally paid off -- in a big way...  discounted movie tickets!  Here's the caveat....the smell of movie popcorn can still make me salivate!  Truly!  And so as I took my seat to watch "The Martian" during opening week-end, I found myself surrounded by a sea of popcorn tubs!   The smell made me crazy but the sound of munching made me even crazier!  Having nowhere to go, I suddenly found myself having to come up with a plan on the fly.  This particular theater checks your purses, and so, there were no healthy snacks on me!  I decided to do the obvious...FOCUS!  Yes, I decided that I had to turn my attention from these obnoxiously noisy snack-lovers and just watch the big screen!  And that did take some doing as I, for one, suffer from "squirrel syndrome";  one small noise and my attention is immediately redirected!  So, I worked on it.  I drank my Diet Coke.  When my stomach began rumbling halfway through the movie, I began to wonder if I could make it.  I rifled through my purse for so much as a piece of gum -- nothing!   However, once I got past that moment (which took about 10 minutes), I was fine.  I was on the other side.  I KNEW I would make it.

A little over dramatization?  From a self-proclaimed "foodie", I think not. This truly was the scenario for my Saturday evening.  However, in retrospect, being down to the 25 pound mark was well worth the effort.  So, where do I go from here?

I still have hurdles.  For one, fall reminds me of apples, pumpkin, cinnamon and nutmeg -- all things that go together to make yummy things like apple crisp, pumpkin lattes, hot cocoa and anything warm and delicious.  I have to find different yummy things such as peppermint tea, chai latte or running my essential oil diffuser.  I am thinking of making a big change...coloring my hair red!  A reminder of leaves on the trees.

My plans for the future include adding exercise.  It is no longer swimming weather, and so now, it is time to move into another activity.  Being too windy for tennis most days, I believe that I will be walking on the week-ends or pushing play on the VCR.  The weather right now is fall-like and ever-so-delightful.

You see, even though I am starting my fourth month on this program, it is still a give and take.  I have to make conscious decisions as to what I am willing to change in order to be healthy.  The truth is, I have had to change everything about the way I view and approach food.  I have to plan and be ever-vigilant.  Although I have proven to myself that I can indulge occasionally without fear of gaining weight, it is still trial and error.  Although the weight is coming off fairly quickly this is not an easy plan and I do not wish to slingshot back to where I was.

The bottom line is that as time goes on, I am getting used to my new lifestyle.  I am loving the way my body is looking.  I have a lot more energy and feel more committed than ever to losing the 50 pounds that I set out to lose.

What changed?  I figured out how to love myself enough to do this for ME!  That's the bottom line...you really do have to love who you are -- believe in yourself and know that no matter what size you are; you matter, you are loved and you can make a difference.  It is never easy to lose weight but I have found that it is possible.  It also helps to have a weight loss buddy or twenty!

So, as I approach this week-end, the plan is in place.  I am going to the movies (again)....I will take a walk or two...and I will live life to the fullest!  Everyday is a gift --- enjoy it!  God's given you His best...YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment